fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed - 1st try

Passed - 1st try 6 years 1 month ago #13737

• Diana
  • Diana's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

I am very happy to announce that I have concluded my PMP exam journey successfully, in my 1st try on 6th of March.
Maybe the best way to describe the exam is that it is not difficult, but demanding.

Preparation material:
1. PMBOK 5th Edition
2. PMP Exam Prep - Rita Mulcahy, 8th Edition
3. PM PrepCast – The PM PrepCast Basic and Simulator
4. Head First - Jennifer Greene, PMP and Andrew Stellman, PMP
5. The PMP Exam How to Pass on Your First Try – Andy Crowe
6. YouTube
a. iZenBridge
b. Praizion
c. Various

Preparation:

I have started preparation in October 2017, and I had the privilege to have a mentor throughout the process, a colleague of mine, who has cleared the exam a couple of years back. I have accepted and implemented all the advices he has suggested, where most of them are known in PMP community.
Period 1 (Month1 – Month 4)
At the begging of the process I have created the plan. The plan envisioned one knowledge area per week. During that week, the approach I took, is to listen to the PM PrepCast lessons, followed by PMBOK and then Rita. During this process, I have created my personal notes and mind maps (1 mind map – 1 process). If there were any terms or concepts not familiar or not completely clear, I would use additional resources (stated above) to clarify. After every knowledge area, I would do the tests at the end of the chapter that can be found in all the sources stated above (4 tests from 4 sources found after each KA). I would time myself, 00:01:30 per question. I wanted to feel the pressure of time limit, but to be able to go through all the question while in learning mode. 95% of my KA test results would vary between 80%-90%.
Most of the KA took a week (1-3 hours during the working days, and 3-6 hours during weekends) but there were several of them where it took more than week. My philosophy was to do it right the first time around, so I did allow myself to go behind the plan.
As my approach was very detailed, it took 4 months for me to complete all the material.
Also, during this period, my local PMI Chapter had organized the lectures (1 KA per week) which I attended to increase the focus on the exam and the preparation.
Period 2 (Month 5)
1 month prior to exam I’ve started going through the material for the second time. For some of the KA it took me a day, and for others, 2 days. It was during this period that I noticed that I need additional time to determine differences and similarities concerning T&Ts. So, I gave myself more time to soak terms in. I started focusing more on interactive sources (YouTube), as well as on concepts still not clear, and I have visited several forums, including PM Prep Cast and iZenBridge to this purpose (a big ‘Thank you’ to the community). Note: I had taken 3 weeks off from my work to fully concentrate on the final period. 20 days prior to the exam I have started taking the mock exams. My PMP Exam Simulator results (first 6 tests):
80.00 %, 84.50 %, 84.50 %, 87.50 %, 90.50 %, 91.00 %
A week prior to exam I have visited the Prometric center, as advised by the community. It is a good thing to know where are you going and how will it look like. Calculate the time needed to arrive to the premises.
Period 3 (days prior the exam)
I used this time to go through all my notes and mind maps (2,3 days). Also, I had certain exam terms on sticky notes on my wall that needed final clarification and conclusion. If possible, take a couple of days off. You need to be focused and rested.
Day before the exam
I took an advice, very broadly advised in the community, not to study the day before. In the morning, I did make some final touches, but after that everything went according the plan. I had scheduled everything I could think of, that will take my mind of the exam and help me relax (had a massage, watched a movie, …). I must say that this was a good advice. My mind was clear and I was relaxed during the exam.
Exam day
Prior to exam – do have some breakfast. Something you are used to. Do not drink a lot of fluids. And do stretch and move around. I am sure that you know the pre-exam procedure in Prometric center by now. It is a good thing to know that you will be on camera, striped of all your belongings, without water or food. Just smile, don’t feel nervous. The whole procedure was quite amusing. Bring a bottle of water and something high on sugar, just in case. Leave it on your locker. I do believe that good preparation and relaxation I had the day before, resulted in the fact that I don’t feel nervous.

Exam – during my mock exams, I would always feel hunger after 2, 3 hours. I presume that during the real thing, you are completely focused, and this was not the case. I did not have time to go out and luckily, there was no need to do it. I did feel comfortable.

Summary:
The whole process is an experience. I would say that the exam is not difficult, but you are expected to demonstrate that you have a high comprehension of the PMI logic. You will not have time to think about the questions. You must believe in yourself, the process, and the effort you have put into the preparation. At first glance, the answers are all applicable in a certain situation, but the PMI logic you have built by studying in previous months is the key. Trust yourself to know the right answer. Preparation is the key.
Also, I would like to mention that the language is not the problem. I am not an English language native speaker, and I didn’t come across to even one non-familiar word.

Good luck to all the aspirants and big ‘thanks’ to the community.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login