fbpx

Reply: Just passed thanks to PM Prepcast - Above Target in all 5 domains

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Just passed thanks to PM Prepcast - Above Target in all 5 domains

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 7 months ago #22638

Ms. Pip

's Avatar

Thank you for sharing and Congratulations!!
6 years 1 week ago #13676

Stan Po - Admin

Dear Sunil,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
6 years 1 week ago #13643

Sunil Gopi

Just passed with all 5 domains above target. I read the PMBOK, used the Master of Project Academy courses and tests (not bad for $18/ a month to get the 35 PDUs), Rita test, Andy Crowe test, took many free tests I could find online as well. All in all I probably took over 3,000 questions. I went back and forth on it, but I finally decided to purchase Cornelius' program, which was highly recommended on several sites. The purchase was well worth the money! I spent one month and did all 1,800 questions by breaking them up and doing them in learning mode 50 or 100 at a time at work and when I came home. A couple times I took the full 200 question test. I usually got around 80%, sometimes more, one or twice a little less. Maybe I got an easier version of the test, but I found that the real exam questions were easier than the simulator. The first 15 were a little confusing and kind of rocked my confidence, but then after that I was rolling. I did write out the formulas and the processes during the tutorial, but they were almost of no use. There were only one or two simple calculations, one or two contract-related questions. No direct ITTO questions. Most were risk, quality, and process related. If you know the terms and how the processes interact (you can learn these through the simulator questions), you should be just fine. It doesn't seem like they test you on all the tricky little details. My questions weren't really convoluted either, pretty understandable. I am starting to realize that if you feel the questions and answers are tricky, then you probably don't really understand the process well and need to google it to get a firm hold on it. There were only a few questions that seemed like there really could be two right answers. Just like the simulator if you understand the processes you can usually eliminate two answers without even reading the question. Of the two remaining answers, look at the details in the question and do not overlook anything. In the real exam every word is in there for a reason and the questions were not very long, just 2-3 sentences or so. So pay attention to every word! I finished in 3 hours and then took the remaining time to review/change answers to marked questions. Then started from question 1 reviewing, got through 45 in total. I was super nervous as I waited until I got the congradulations.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Take all 1,800 questions in the simulator. 200, 100, 50, 20 at a time, whatever works with your schedule. Read and understand why you missed those questions. Don't gloss over these! This is key to knowing if you are ready. At 50 a day you can finish it in little over a month. Worthwhile investment that won't take over your life. You should be able to explain why the right answer is right as well.
2. After you have done that, then take the exam using only the questions you missed. You should be able to get 60%-70% if you really understand them (without having the answer memorized). Remember you got 0% on these last time, so even 50% is an accomplishment here.
3. No need to memorize ITTOs, just understand them. I was trying to remember where EEF and OPA are inputs/outputs and I wasted a lot of time on that. Not one question on that.
4. Make sure to understand the demarcation between processes that can overlap or can be confusing (i.e. Manage Communication vs. Manage Stakeholder Engagement, Perform QA vs Control Quality, etc.). Do some Google searches on the difference if you need to.
5. When taking an exam, ask yourself:
a. What process group am I in?
b. What knowledge group I am in?
c. Many times the answer will be something in that same group. Why pick an answer from Initiating if you are Executing? Why answer from Risk Management if you are in Quality Management? I realized this last week and it was key to me answering questions properly. Even if common sense was telling me to choose something else.

I think the above should give you a head start and I hope this is helpful. If you'll excuse me now its time for some celebratory Oreos and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Its been a long 3 months but its over now.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login