fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I passed my PMP EXAM on the first try!

I passed my PMP EXAM on the first try! 6 years 1 month ago #13464

• Taneishia Fields
  • Taneishia Fields's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm so relieved I passed my PMP exam on the first try today!!!!!!!! This forum was very helpful to me as I was preparing for the exam so it's only right I provide my lessons learned as well!
First off my results were as followed:
Initiating- Target
Planning- Below Target
Executing - Below Target
Monitoring & Controling - Target
Closing- Above Target
So you can get below target and still pass!

I took 7 PrepCast Stimulator Exams: the first was a baseline after going through the material once I score 67.5% then,
Exam 2- 76.5%
Exam 3 - 84%
Exam 4- 78.5%
Exam 5 -80 %
Exam 6- 80 %
Exam 9- 82.5%

This is how I studied: (over the course of 12- 16 weeks)

- I first listened to all of the PM Prep Cast Videos (knowledge areas + agile/ethics) taking the assessments after each knowledge area.
- Then about half way through after watching a section/knowledge area, I would then read that corresponding chapter in the PM BOOK thenI took the assessment for that chapter.
- After completing all of the Prep Cast Videos and reading through the remaining PMBOK knowledge areas I took the first Prep Cast Stimulator exam so I could create a baseline and understand my gaps. I scored 67.50 percent which I actually thought was pretty good considering I had only went through the material once.
- From there I was able to see the areas I needed to work on. So I Re- Read the PMBOK. I would suggest you read it twice. I really think that's how I passed the exam. I honestly did not have any questions on my PMP exam that weren't in the PMBOK.
- After Re- Reading the PMBOK and going over the EVM/Decision Tree/CPM areas I took another PrepCast Stimulator exam. This time I passed! I scored a 76.50 percent. So my strategy was to continue to go through all of the incorrect answers and re read the areas where I had gaps.
- I also ended up adding the Rita Mulachey PMP prep book which I didnt really like at first because it seemed really high level but it did kind of connect the dots within a knowledge area but I definitely feel like you need the PMBOK for detail. I did some of the practice tests within that book.
- I found some other practice test (Oliver Lehman- like 65 %, Exam Central 82%, Andy Crowe practice exam 76%)
-As it got closer to the test I stop reading and just started practicing writing out the formulas understanding what they are used for, making sure I knew all of the processes/knowledge areas, and taking as many test as possible so I get comfortable with the grueling 4 hours of 200 questions and going over questions/areas that weren't clicking.
- The day before the test I went over my notes, practiced the formulas and page 61 of the PMBOK went over areas I was still unsure of.

Lessons Learned for the Test: The test is not that hard. It's just tricky. The way in which the questions are asked are definitely confusing. I would definitely tell people to buy the Prep Cast Simulator. I think that is what prepared me the most. It's very similar to the real test just more pressure and your nerves will kick in. The first 15 questions really kind of had me stumped. Maybe those were the pre questions that aren't scored. I had about 3 -4 questions on EVM. I had about 3 questions on CPM. There were some questions that flat out described the definition of a tool/technique. There weren't many ITTO questions. Just lots of situational questions where you have to understand what they are asking for and what is involved with the process. I think you also have to be able to apply some experience from being a PMP because I'm not sure the PMBOK would have help with some of the scenarios posed. Make sure you have a strategy. From the PrepCast Simulator, I usually had like 1:45 min left to go over questions. On the actual exam, after answering all go the questions. I went back over the marked questions and I ran out of time. I really only had about 45 minutes to go over a lot of marked questions.

Anyhow bottom line. Read the PMBOK twice. Listen to all of the Prepcast Videos. Take the Stimulator Exams they will prepare you and get you more comfortable! I don't think you necessarily need to memorize the ITTOs I'm not sure how much more it would have helped me. Maybe just a little. Good luck to everyone currently studying!

I passed my PMP EXAM on the first try! 6 years 1 month ago #13467

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Congrats!!!

I passed my PMP EXAM on the first try! 6 years 1 month ago #13479

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Taneishia,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login