fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP exam with Above Target in all domain

Passed PMP exam with Above Target in all domain 6 years 2 months ago #13330

• Danny Gunawan
  • Danny Gunawan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed the PMP exam on my first try on Feb 20, 2018 with Above Target in all domain!

It took a lot of discipline, patience, perseverance, self-motivation, and most of all: sacrifices. I studied since late October 2017, so that makes about 4 months of looking at the following resources:
  1. PM PrepCast (thank you Cornelius!!)
  2. Rita's book
  3. PMBOK
  4. Series of videos from Lynda.com
  5. Edward Chungs website
  6. And some PMP apps for referencing

Going back in time, these are what I've observed to work and not work.
During the exam,
Do:
  • Stretch before you begin
  • Visit the restroom and relief yourself (serious advise here)
  • Find ways to relax and briefly forget about the exam, while waiting to begin
Don't:
  • Study, if possible, the day before or day of the exam
  • Be late arriving at the test center, as it can take a while on the road, finding parking, getting to the test center itself

During the study, I find that having a schedule of what and when to study is crucial, especially if you have young children and a full-time job, like me. My typical study time had been early in the morning, during my commute, and late at night. Another key point, study for no more than 1-2 hours per session. That is, no more than 1-2 hours in the morning, 1-2 hours during commute, and 1-2 hours late at night. This will keep your sanity, and those topics in your head.

I started out with half a dozen or more resources. But with the limited time and the amount of topics to study, I narrowed it to the PrepCast (video), Rita (text), PMBOK (text), and Lynda.com (videos). Honestly, I might have been ok without the Lynda.com videos. Bottom line, don't have more than you can handle. Also diversify with both video/audio and textbook. Video/audio gives you instruction at a set pace, and you just need to pay attention to the words dictated. Textbook allows you to go at your own pace, re-read as many times as you want, and really capture the content. A warning to each study material, in video/audio, as mentioned, you need to pay attention and stay focus to the narrator, even though you may need to also focus on say, driving. For textbook, don't spend too much time re-reading and being stuck in one spot for too long. This is why a schedule benefits a lot.

Also, simulator exams helped a ton. Looking back, Cornelius' PMP simulator was king. I did 8 out of 9 exams, haven't done the simulator's final exam, and I was able to pass the real exam really well. In fact, I'll make time to do the last practice exam and final exam, because I believe I can earn PDU's with it.

Finally, have faith in yourself, that you can do this. That you struggle because in the end, it will be worth it. Let the people closest to you know, since your sacrifice will be theirs as well. So good luck, aspirants!

Passed PMP exam with Above Target in all domain 6 years 2 months ago #13337

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
That is a great accomplishment.

Passed PMP exam with Above Target in all domain 6 years 2 months ago #13371

• Jada Garrett
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Danny, this was a fantastic lessons learned write-up!! the PrepCast podcasts were instrumental in my understanding of the PMP exam content, solely because I could listen to them (and learn) during my daily commutes. The normally wasted time, was now very valuable.
congrats on earning your PMP.
Jada Garrett, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed PMP exam with Above Target in all domain 6 years 2 months ago #13374

• Danny Gunawan
  • Danny Gunawan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login