fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Study Plan Suggestions based on my own experience! I passed and so can you!

Study Plan Suggestions based on my own experience! I passed and so can you! 6 years 2 months ago #13325

• Aolat A Chike
  • Aolat A Chike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
1.0 Background:
I purchased PrepCast Tools and Exam Simulator for the PMP exam preparation based on a recommendation from a friend
who had passed the PMP Exam. The money was very well spent! :) :) :)

I started the preparation with the intention of taking the exam 2 months later but got side-tracked by hectic work schedule
and busy home life schedule. :blush: I pushed the exam date back another 3 months once I faced reality to give my self time to
properly prepare. I then began using the prepcast to secure the foundation of my comprehensive knowledge. I took a self
assessment early on to scare me into the reality of huge gaps. I did not begin to take any simulator exams until my
comprehension was 85% covered.

Total elapsed time: 4.5 months

2.0 Building my Comprehension phase
Tools: Cornelius's PrepCast and Math Formulas add-on, another similar learning program like PrepCast, YouTube (3 specific
gurus), Google, PMBOK 5th Edition, PMP Exam Content Outline, Pen, Paper

2.1 Key Insights:
1. Be true to yourself- For me, learning through seeing visuals and listening plus writing notes was key. I needed to have a mix
of ALL three to retain knowledge.
2. If a topic didn't feel fleshed out to me, I went back to the "mothership" aka PMBOK and read for details. If not clear I went to
YouTube for new teachers/"explainers".
3. Figure out your preferred order of flowing through 47 processes. There are 2 main ones looking at the chart on page 61 in
the PMBOK 5th edition. I started with the order like the PMBOK (and Prepcast) which is setup according to each knowledge
area (KA) (cover all the process groups in the KA before moving vertically down the chart). Something CRITICAL for me was
deciding after 1 month to switch to the other flow because I preferred learning each process using the process groups as
"Phase Gates". The other flow is moving from the left horizontally to the right and learning every process in the Initiating
process group before moving on the Planning process group and so forth until you get to Closing. Learning ITTOs is so much
EASIER when you learn the 47 processes by Process Groups (going horizontally then vertically) instead of by KAs.

2.2 Steps Taken:
1. Used PrepCast and after a month began alternating with another tool that matched my preferred flow.
2. Used YouTube for Earned Value Management, Critical Path exercises along with Prepcast tools. Variety of methods rounded out my understanding of these topics.
3. Once 80% comprehension was complete, with a weighted emphasis and focus on the M & C, Executing and then planning Process Groups, I took the first simulated exam. This began the Testing Comprehension phase.

3.0 Testing Comprehension phase (2.5 weeks)
Tools: Cornelius's PM Exam Simulator, YouTube, PMBOK 5th Edition, PMP Exam Content Outline, PMI Code of Ethics, Prepcast Formulas docs, Pencil, Paper, Google

3.1 Key Insights:
1. Simulator exams help uncover gaps in understanding, give exposure to the environment of taking a 4 hour exam, and help you gauge your readiness.
2. The process groups are weighted differently according to the exam content syllabus. I ensured I understood the 11 M & C processes and the 8 Executing processes first, and then the 24 Planning, and 2 Closing/Initiating processes when prioritizing how to fill in gaps in my understanding.
3. The Exam Outline lists KEY Tasks and Skills they expect you to know for all process groups. Not all of it is within the PMBOK!!! Google and YouTube or seek other sources.

3.2 Steps Taken:
1. With only about 3 weeks to the exam date, I used a span of 2.5 weeks to take all 9 simulator exams. In between exams I filled gaps in understanding using PMBOK first, then any other resource I could find.
2. Assess areas of weakness, is it particular process groups, is it particular KAs?
3. Assess areas of cloudiness. Stuff you know but is very similar to something else and could easily get confused (google 'PMP easily confused terms')
4. Practice timed brain dumping. I recommend using no more than 7 minutes for a brain dump. (Even if you don't use it on exam day, practice it!)
5. DO NOT memorize ITTOs generally, instead find PATTERNS!!! Many YouTube videos focused on ITTOs will reveal the patterns, learn those and use it for quick brain dumping as needed.
6. Determine the exam day strategy. Since I averaged using almost all 4 hours during mock exams, I didn't plan to take any breaks unless absolutely necessary. I wasn't sure if I would do a brain dump, although, a shorthand brain dump of table 61 was often my 'GPS' to understand where in the process group I was, and what process I was in.
7. Truly understand the TOOLS & TECHNIQUES used for various processes!
8. Look for other free exams online to take for variety of questions.

3.3 Practice Exam 1 - 9 results: 80%, 86%, 81%, 84%, 85%, 82.5%, 86%, 88%, 89%

4.0 Exam Day:
1. Take 2 forms of ID, eat light breakfast, dress comfy and layered. (Jackets not allowed in) Also, use the bathroom before right before entering the exam.
2. To save time I did not bother to do any dumping to begin the exam. However doing it previously meant I could recall and write it as needed during the exam.
3. Manage your emotions. Do not panic. Maximize your chances at successfully completing the exam.

The exam was a bit different than the simulator, with many what-if and PM situation questions. Complexly worded questions requiring clever unpacking were asked, knowing how to answer it was half the battle, the other half was narrowing down the answers to the best 2 and then the best 1 you choose. Discipline and determination will get you through. You can do it!

5.0 My Result:
Passed 1st Time with "Above Target" overall (4 Above Target, 1 Target)

Thank you for reading my super long entry. Show some love ;) if it helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lisa Choate

Study Plan Suggestions based on my own experience! I passed and so can you! 6 years 2 months ago #13326

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
With a plan like that, I can see why you passed. Great job!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aolat A Chike

Study Plan Suggestions based on my own experience! I passed and so can you! 6 years 2 months ago #13328

• Genevieve Pluviose, PMP
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Your approach was very similar to mine. Congratulations! I'm going to mention how you memorized processes by Process Groups instead of Knowledge areas to a friend who is studying to see if that helps her.

Thanks for Sharing!!!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login