fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP on first attempt (3 above target, 2 target and overall above target)

Passed PMP on first attempt (3 above target, 2 target and overall above target) 6 years 2 months ago #12996

• Vidhya Dharmaraj
  • Vidhya Dharmaraj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Passed PMP on my first attempt!

A big and sincere thanks to Edward notes (especially for the 47 confusing terms, EVM sample questions, and chapter wise notes which he has collated from all the sources including mock exams and recommendations on mocks), PM prepcast exam simulator, Shiv for the concepts, praizion videos for ITTO, izenbridge for procurement video, org structures, useful android apps (to the owners - app names mentioned below)

There were few reviews that tells that PM Precast is not close to the exam and I got very nervous reading them in the last couple of days - but personally based on my experience I wouldn't say that prepcast questions did exactly match however if you can take all the simulator tests and you understand your weak areas, review the wrong answers and you can definitely pass PMP - once again my sincere thanks to Cornelius and his team :)

Preparation:
Read PMBOK and Rita twice. First time I just brushed it through but second time I studied to actually understand by linking and by trying to relate the ITTOs better and spent time for every new word or concept.

I know many exam takers have these below questions in your mind! I did have and I think its fair I share my views on the same after the exam. Note: This is just my personal opinion that has worked for me.

‌Is PMP exam that difficult? I would say its not very difficult but it needs good preparation and mock exam practice. Definitely it is within our reach to pass the exam. If I can do, you too can. I don't consider myself super intelligent but I am persistent and hardworking!

Will there be any easy questions at all? Ofcourse yes, there will be lot of questions that you will know :) relax! which is why many are able to finish it sooner.

Do I have to memorize ITTO? You don't have to memorize but its good if we know it. I personally feel that it will give you lot of confidence. First understand it and find a way to link it somehow - for instance - all the planning and control processes will have PMP as one of the inputs, all the control + validate processes will have Work performance data as an input and work performance information and change request as output. Everything begins with develop charter so start with that and try to link and recreate the entire thing on your own. For e.g., Direct and manage work gives out deliverable and then this is an input to control quality and this gives out verified deliverable and this becomes an input to validate scope which gives out accepted deliverable and this becomes input to close process/project. I loved praizion videos that gave me confidence on ITTO.

Will I get lot of mathematical problems? I did get two critical path question :O yes! And that too one at the very end!. But I was well prepared in mathematical questions and atleast four five questions from EV, PV, SPI, CPI etc. Please read the questions very carefully on EMV. It might say what was the SPI at a point# 3 in a graph. Understand the concept behind critical path how to solve it - i liked Rita's explanation and the questions. Know how to calculate total and free float. Edward notes has some very good sample questions on EVM.

What are the other kind of questions that I can expect and areas to focus on? Questions are not very long just two to three lines. It was very easy to read and understand. Please expect to see tricky questions on closing! During the mocks I was able to rule out two answers easily but in the actual exam, tricky questions had three close choices. There were many many correct answers which were pointing to need for change requests, integration management topic is very important. If the questions are very time consuming and you think it's tough or tricky you can start from 200. For me last 50 were tough and tricky so don't get lethargic and slow down I had more than 70 questions marked and I couldn't review it all. I finished the exam with 35 mins remaining. But make it a point to mark the best answer and then mark the question.

How long do I have to study the books? I think twice should do but if the scores are low, reading it again will help you improve and connect the dots.

When to start giving mocks? After two rounds of reading the books.

‌I am getting only in the range of 55-60. Should I postpone my exam? To be very honest here, I started with 56 in my mocks and couldn't get more than that for a while. That's when I re studied PMBOK carefully the second time. It did realllllly help. And I got above 70 only in the last week. So I would say not to panic even if you get in your 60s. This is what I did: Re study PMBOK and give your mocks - pick the bottom two weak areas where you didn't perform well - study that chapters again and review your answers carefully. This is very important. Repeat this for 3-4 tests things will definitely improve even if not, you are going in the right direction. My mock exam% - head first 84%, Oliver 75q - 61%, Edwel - 74%, Simplilearn - 63%, Rita chapter end - 70%, PM Precast exam simulator- 56, 62, 64, 64, after a PMBOK revision - 75, 75, 78, 77. ITTO exam that is given is very good idea to revise in the last two days - 99%.

‌ Recommended mocks: Rita chapter end go through the reasoning, Oliver 75q, Edwel, Simpli learn, Head first, PM study free practice test and free chapter questions. Links are already available in Edward site. If you want to try more and you don't mind spending then go for PM Prepcast.

Recommended Android Apps: PMP formula, PMP exam mentor Pranav Sharma, PMP exam prep quiz world, PMP practice test by Coco e-learning, Hyper, PMP ITTO charmit, once you have understood ITTO basics, you can use hyper PMP.

Top tips to pass the exam:
‌1) Do not take PMBOK lightly every word is important. Rita did help in understanding concepts and for chapters like procurement, risk, cost and time!

‌2) Do not miss to take chapter wise practice tests, quiz with the above mentioned android apps. This is very important, this is the key to passing the exam. With the mock tests, sometimes you don't delve deep into a specific topic where as, you get an opportunity to do this with chapter wise tests or quizzes.

‌3) Have your own notes: I didn't have one till two weeks before the exam and I realized after couple of mocks, I am making the same mistakes. So I would suggest this- During chapter revisions, have the vague words or concepts jotted down, also while reviewing the mock exam answers note down the wrong answers in a few words. This can be used to revise on the last day.

‌4) One thing that I missed was the usage for few topics like tornado diagram, data gathering techniques etc - though I knew what it was, I did not know their usage very well. I had a moment of regret during the exam. Your weak area will get exposed in the exam - so leave no stone unturned. Just glossary will not help usage is the key!

‌ 5) Practice atleast 5-6 full length exams and more 50 questions tests in your free time (note: take these short quizzes in front of TV it will help you get accustomed to other sounds) As I had a small 7 months old kid and I don't know when he will start crying I was doing many 50 questions from free android apps - I will just have 25 mins but I would still go for 50 questions short test. This really helped when I had to catch up in the actual test.

‌6) Most useful feature in the exam: Highlighting and striking out I would say I passed the exam coz of these else I would have lost more time reviewing the wrong answers in the second pass.

‌7) Review: make sure you strike out the wrong ones so it is easier to review when you come again, mark the best answer in the first time itself so you have the 25% probability for it to be right.

8) Take time to do the 15 mins training on the tests - do not skip this, I was tensed and this helped me to calm down really.

‌9) Finally like what everyone tells - practice practice practice and review review review review this is the key to passing the exam!

Sorry for a very long review but I hope this will be useful. Please feel free to email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in case you have any additional questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emad Habash

Passed PMP on first attempt (3 above target, 2 target and overall above target) 6 years 2 months ago #13001

• Gerald Wright
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed my exam yesterday and agree 100% with everything you stated. My experience sounds very much like yours. CONGRATULATIONS on your PMP!!

Passed PMP on first attempt (3 above target, 2 target and overall above target) 6 years 2 months ago #13006

• Ravi Kumar Agarwal
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the information it is very useful one.

Passed PMP on first attempt (3 above target, 2 target and overall above target) 6 years 2 months ago #13039

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Vidhya,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. I remember the valuable inputs that you submitted through our simulator Live Feedback™ support feature. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Now it’s time to celebrate your success. Don't forget to start earning your PDU’s.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login