fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the PMP Exam on the First Attempt (4 Above Target, 1 Target)

Passed the PMP Exam on the First Attempt (4 Above Target, 1 Target) 6 years 4 months ago #12705

• Timothy Enalls
  • Timothy Enalls's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was able to get Above Target scores for Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closing. I had a Target score for Initiation.

This surprised me about I had 78-79% score averages in in my Prepcast exam simulations not counting my first exam simulation attempt.

However, in the few days before the real exam, I read about terms from “PMP Exam Prep” by Rita Mulcahy that I still need more clarity for and skimmed through "The Book of Forms" for the second time, which I believe helped increase my real exam score dramatically.

Here are my Lessons Learned and recommendations to pass the PMP exam.

Actions that had the Most Impact:
1. Take the PM Prepcast Exam Simulations: I took all 8 exam simulations offered by PM Prepcast at www.project-management-prepcast.com/ . My scores averaged around 78% to 79%. It’s recommended to get 80% or above scores, if possible, before taking the PMP exam. I copied and pasted the answers to the questions I got wrong. I reread and researched them as needed. If you feel ready after taking less than 8 exam simulations, that is probably okay.
2. Read “PMP Exam Prep” by Rita Mulcahy: I read “PMP Exam Prep” by Rita Mulcahy from beginning to end. Also, in the few days before the exam, it helped to go through the index and quickly read about each term for which I needed more clarity.
3. Prioritize Knowledge Area/Process Group Parings that Will have the Most Questions on the Exam: I focused most of my study efforts on the knowledge area/process group parings below (ranked by priority). Additionally, I noticed that the number of questions in the PM Prepcast exam were most prevalent for these knowledge area / process group pairings in the order shown:
a. Human Resource Management / Executing
b. Integration Management / Initiating
c. Cost Management / Monitoring & Controlling
d. Risk Management / Planning
e. Time Management / Planning
f. Integration Management / Monitoring & Controlling
4. Use the “The Book of Forms” to Visualize Concepts: I skimmed through “The Book of Forms” twice. Each time. I made sure to inspect each form carefully each time. The second time, I made sure to do so in the few days before the exam. Doing this greatly helps to visualize about 5% to 10% of the topics covered on the PMP exam, which is a huge game changer. Here is the URL to the book: www.pmi.org/learning/tools-templates/pro...nagers-book-of-forms . Also, it helps to use the forms from "The Book of Forms" as much as possible in work situations. The forms are available in Word document file types here: www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-815698.html .
5. Use PMBOK Guide as a Quick Reference Guide: I didn’t read the PMBOK guide word for word. But I did make sure to at least look at each page. And I read passages related to 15 – 20 areas and terms for which I needed more clarity.

Possible Mistake:
1. Taking too many notes from “PMP Exam Prep” by Rita Mulcahy – I did this and I’m sure it helped, but I may have spent way too much time doing this. This book is extremely dense and I took 70 pages of notes. As stated above, it’s probably sufficient to just read it and then only reread the sections you’re most unclear about in the few days before the exam.
Last edit: by Timothy Enalls.

Passed the PMP Exam on the First Attempt (4 Above Target, 1 Target) 6 years 3 months ago #12723

• Jada Garrett
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Timothy. I have never heard of the book of forms, but i'll look into it. especially since you said it was helpful in work situations. I definitely agree with you regarding taking as many simulation tests as possible to gain more knowledge and experience with the actual test.

thanks for sharing your lessons learned
Jada Garrett, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timothy Enalls
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login