fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP w/ Above Target All Sections - Not as Rigorous Studying as Planned

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP w/ Above Target All Sections - Not as Rigorous Studying as Planned

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 4 months ago #12633

Thompson Vou

Moments ago, I had the excitement of seeing the CONGRATULATIONS screen at the Prometric Testing Center and achieved Above Target on all sections. Here's what I did to get there:
  1. Took PM PrepCast Pre-Assessment and reviewed all answers (scored 62%)
  2. Watched all PM PrepCast videos over the course of 3 months.
  3. Read through PMBOK Guide once (PM PrepCast videos helped make this more bearable/skim-able for me).
  4. Took all PM PrepCast Chapter Assessments and immediately reviewed answers for each chapter (scored 71% in total).
  5. Read through Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book once (did most exercises but no chapter exams).
  6. Took 1st PM PrepCast Exam Simulator (scored 79.5%. Jotted down topics I wanted to read up more on as I went through the exam).
  7. Reviewed incorrect answers and topics I jotted down to review.
  8. Took 2nd PM PrepCast Exam Simulator (scored 81%. Again, jotted down topics to review along the exam).
  9. Reviewed incorrect answers and topics that were jotted down.
  10. Took all the chapter exams in Rita Mulcahy's book sequentially. Reviewed all answers immediately after each chapter exam. (scored 78% total).
  11. At the end of Rita's book, there's a list of formulas that are recommended to be memorized. I memorized and practiced brain dumping the second half (starting from the EAC formulas).
  12. Took 3rd PM PrepCast Exam Simulator (scored 80%. Again, jotted down topics to review along the exam. I was concerned my score didn't increase, so I reviewed any areas I got below 80% by re-reading that chapter in Rita's book.).
  13. Reviewed incorrect answers and topics that were jotted down.
  14. Relaxed the night before the exam. No studying.
  15. Exam day: practiced my "brain dump" a couple times at the Prometric Center waiting area.

Key Takeaways:
  • The PM PrepCast videos will build a solid foundation for you.
  • Rita's book will fill in your knowledge gaps.
  • Practice exams are important to build your mental stamina. The 1st hour of the practice exams I was in full focus. Then, as the hours went on, I started getting mentally tired and complacent. Build that mental stamina! I took the 1st and 2nd practice exams in the same day to build stamina (8 hours of exams in a day!).
  • Take as many practice questions you can. At the end of my preparations, I was only able to get in about 1,312 practice questions (including my 3 practice exams).
  • Beyond studying each Knowledge Area, be sure to have a firm understanding of how everything all comes together as a cohesive project management effort. Rita's Process Chart helps with this.

Happy preparing and happy holidays to all!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login