fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Passed above target 1st try - Journey and strategy details

PMP Passed above target 1st try - Journey and strategy details 6 years 6 months ago #12152

• Michael Abidoye
  • Michael Abidoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Background:
BSEE, MSEE, doing project management informally and formally for the entire 11 years of my career.

Training:
Had formal CAPM and formal project kickoff/jumpstart training 3 years ago.
Applied for PMP 2 years ago, got accepted, and started studying using learnsmart self-thought courses. Work and personal life happened and stopped midway, didn’t take the exam (didn’t pay for it yet) and application expired.
In 2017, I decided to try again, applied for PMP, using most recent projects, got accepted in a few weeks, I decided to start studying again. I started late August with learnsmart materials. I realized I was headed down a path of disaster. The learnsmart materials didn’t fit my learning style, and I was able to determine this because of my prior exposure to pmbok and project management, I was like I do not feel I am learning anything lol. However after a brief research via Google, I found several choices of study materials so this is what I used with how I used them:

1. Rita PMP Exam Prep, 8th edition (Read once, with highlighted portions to enable fast read a second time. RMC Exam prep is a very good read, and it fit my learning style like someone was talking to me. I enjoyed this book and it cut straight to the point on what matters)
2. Rita Fast track, demo (didn’t use much I only answered 20 questions here, I quickly realized it was similar to PMP simulator)
3. Rita Hot topics, 8th edition (Read once, with sticky notes on tough cards, then read 2 more times)
4. Rita process game, by pmp.aamirafridi.com/_rpg/index-3.html (I played this game about 10 times, each time increasing accuracy until understanding of why I chose certain answers and obtain 98% consistently)
5. PMBOK Guide, 5th edition. Got this as part of PMI membership (This is a hard book to read. I didn’t read the whole book, however my prior exposure to it coupled with going back to it for reference in the PMP simulator PMBOK reference was crucial)
6. Premium PMP Exam Simulator from OSP International LLC (I took 14 quizzes from 10 – 100 questions, Then I took the PMP Exam 1 and 2. My strategy here was to answer the questions with the my 1st instinct, and even if after reading the question a 2nd time and wanted to change my answers I didn’t. The intention here was to go back and ask questions via live feedback to query my 1st instinct is wrong or why I was confused. This way the simulator showed my worst performance without much thought. I finished each simulator exam in 2.5 hours or less. The live feedback of the PMP exam simulator is crucial to the successful use of the simulator. It will stimulate the mind and thought process under the guidance of experts and professionals like Stan and Yolanda, and they take their time in answering your questions further than the explanation given in the simulator itself. It also gives alternate explanation. To get the most out of the simulator, you have to ask questions and query your thought process. The simulator also closed the gap in my Rita materials, as some things where missing e.g. halo effect is also known as peter principle, Kanban etc.)

1 – 2 Days before the Exam:
I started out practicing my download sheet, formulas, grids, key concepts I had issues with, and I made over 15 versions, until I achieved repeatability. I took several breaks and in some random moments and times, I would rewrite the download sheet.
A day before the exam, I reread the entire RMC exam prep, of course my highlighted sections. Some chapters I only had 2 or 3 things highlighted like stakeholder management.

Exam Day (12 noon):
Had breakfast, cooked lunch, ate lunch, didn’t do much study, but just reviewed my download sheet. I felt great, a little headache took some Advil and hydrated. Had snack bars with me and 3 bottles of Gatorade to put on top of the locker for use during exam unscheduled breaks.
Upon sign in, the center administrator said I cannot start writing anything on my download sheet until I was done with the tutorial. I found this odd and upsetting, all my study materials and research said I can use this time to download on my sheet so I do not waste any time during the allotted 4 hrs. to take the exam. What I found most upsetting was I took a test drive at the test center a week before, and this little snafu never came up, why now on exam day. He said this new rule had been in place for about a year now, so future PMP takers please beware. I finished the tutorial, exam started and I used the 1st 5 mins to write out my download sheet.
I was very nervous for the 1st 20 questions, and didn’t really get my rhythm until 50 questions. I realized at this point I might have over prepared, and placed more emphasis on calculations than was necessary.
My strategy was simple and adapted from the suggestion I received from prepcast.
1. Answer all questions, mark lengthy ones and come back to it
2. Go back to marked questions and unmark the ones you feel ok about
3. Go back and answer remaining marked questions, leave nothing unmarked
4. Go back and start to review all questions from #1. This was my tactics against my nervousness for the 1st 20 – 50 questions. I was able to review the 1st 66 questions all over again.

I used all my time given to the last second. Remember, all my exam simulations was contrary to this as it was based on 1st instict. This real exam, no time was given back and all time given was used to give ample thought to questions and provide best answer.

Result:
The exam stopped itself, ran out of time as planned, and It asked me to take a survey for another 5 mins on the exam and test center (My heart was racing and almost burst out).
I passed the exam above target. It took me an additional 5 mins to calm down.
This whole endeavor in 2017 lasted 2.5 months.

Advice:
Be prepared and understand your learning style. As you study, if you do not feel your knowledge and understanding increasing in key concepts, revise study strategy and/or materials. Trust yourself and training on exam day, and control your exam, do not let it control you.

PMP Passed above target 1st try - Journey and strategy details 6 years 6 months ago #12164

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Michael,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam. We appreciate your warm words about our team. Thank you for the valuable inputs that you have provided thru our LiveFeedbackTM feature. Feedback as yours, help us continuously improve our products for all our customers.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login