fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons Learned on Passing Exam on 1st try

Lessons Learned on Passing Exam on 1st try 6 years 8 months ago #11501

• Amy
  • Amy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My basic Study Plan was:
1. Watched PrepCast Lessons in all 10 Knowledge Areas. I took Notes on every video.
2. Used my Notes from the PrepCast videos, made Flash Cards, and studied them.
3. Bought a physical copy of the PMBOK Guide. I never actually read it cover to cover, but I read certain sections such as the section on EVM. I also used many of the diagrams in it as a supplemental study guide (more on that below).
4. Created a "Brain Dump" sheet, which included the matrix of all 47 processes in their correct Knowledge areas and Process Groups. It also included formulas for EVM: EV, CV, SV, CPI, SPI, and TCPI plus what the results mean for each. I also included how to calculate Total Float, ES (Early Start...), EF, LS, & LF.
5. Every day for 2 weeks before my exam, I practiced my "Brain Dump" on a blank sheet of paper. By the time I sat for the exam, I could fill the entire sheet out correctly from memory.
6. Subscribed to the (OPS International) PMP Exam Simulator, and completed 4 Full Sample Exams. I started the exam and then practiced by Brain Dump. I got it down to 15 mins. Since they now do not let you Brain Dump during the tutorial, it's important to time yourself to know how long it will take you to perform the Brain Dump.
7. Photo copied the Summary Diagrams from each Knowledge Areas (the diagram that shows all processes within that Knowledge Area and what the ITTO are...). I used these pages as a Study Guide, particularly in understanding the Inputs and Outputs of every process. Not necessarily memorizing them, but getting a really clear understanding of the purpose of every process.

Final thoughts: The exam was much more situational and applying concepts than actually testing direct knowledge. So my Brain Dump sheet helped me answer questions by applying those concepts. Very few actual exam questions could be answered directly from my Brain Dump (aside from the formulas). So for me, probably the most important study tool was taking the Sample Exams. I had to carve out 16 hours, in 4 hour chunks in order to complete 4 full sample exams. That is a lot of time, but I believe it was the difference in me passing the exam the first time around. Put the time in to answer situational questions and fully understand WHY answers are considered the "best" answers. Most questions contained at least 2 "correct" answers, and then you had to choose the "best" answer from the 2 "correct" ones. So practice taking the full length exams, and practice with quality sample exams. I didn't take any free sample exams, so I cannot compare the paid subscription versus free. But I would assume that the QUALITY of sample questions make a huge difference. Good Luck!! Put the time in and it will pay off.

Lessons Learned on Passing Exam on 1st try 6 years 8 months ago #11534

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lessons learned on the forum.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login