fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: FAIL in 1st Attempt

FAIL in 1st Attempt 6 years 8 months ago #11491

• Jolene Sharp
  • Jolene Sharp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I didn't pass today. Totally bummed.

Not sure what to do now in terms of preparing to take the test again.

I scored BP in all except Closing where I was MP. I should have known based on my simulator scores that I wouldn't pass.

Any tips on what to do so that I can pass the next time? How long do you wait to take the test again?

I'm looking for a better study/preparation plan since what I did the first time was unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Jolene

FAIL in 1st Attempt 6 years 8 months ago #11492

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Jolene,

Really sorry that you did not pass the exam on our 1st attempt. Don't give up. You know you can do better. Regroup and develop a new study plan. There are many people on this forum that have been in your shoes. Only you can know how soon to restart your effort. It is probably a good idea to take a deep breath and some time to review what worked and what didn't. Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aung Sint

FAIL in 1st Attempt 6 years 8 months ago #11494

• Pank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jolene,

Don't feel bad, I also failed yesterday on my first attempt, I was confident or can say over confident that I will pass the exam.

Though most of the questions were easy and I was feeling happy after each questions, not sure what went wrong :(

I got BP in all, that was a shock for me.

I was preparing from last 6 months

What I have Studied :
PMBOK 3 times
Rita 3 times
Head first 2 times

Attended almost 1200 mock questions from different sources my percentage was ranging 65 to 85.

But above all didn't helped me on the exam day I think! bad day, bad luck!

Hope I will crack the exam in second attempt.

FAIL in 1st Attempt 6 years 8 months ago #11498

• Aung Sint
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Dear Jolene,

As I mentioned in my reply to Pank's post, you need to find out where you stand (so-called baseline), so that you know which direction to take. Since you already had simulator scores, you can review them one by one, and take notes of why you got wrong, read explanation, and study from the relevant section from PMBOK Guide. If you find PMBOK Guide explanation too vague, check other prep books, I recommend Rita or HeadFirst.

Once you know your baseline, you can formulate your plan - how long you need more for each knowledge area that you have trouble with, and keep practicing with simulator exams, until you hit above 80%. Do not rush taking simulator exams in consecutive days, I feel that it won't help you much, since your knowledge gap won't be filled instantly. Give enough time yourself until you fully understand PMI concepts/framework, then you give yourself a full speed of taking simulator exams.

Wish you all the best in your 2nd attempt! Do let me know if you get any questions on particular concept, I'll try my best to answer.
Best regards,
Aung K. Sint, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP

FAIL in 1st Attempt 6 years 8 months ago #11521

• Jolene Sharp
  • Jolene Sharp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Pank and Aung for your responses.

I will try and see where I went wrong and start over.

I need a better study plan because the situational questions on the exam were tougher than i thought they would be and I was completely lost. I'll go back through the old tests and see where the gaps are.Hoping I can take again before the end of the year.

I ordered the Headfirst book as I don't really care for Rita's style, I'll try and go through it again as it seems like everyone else loves her book.

I'm glad now that I will know what to expect on the actual exam, that helps with some of the nervousness overall.

Thanks...
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login