fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Pass Exam First Attempt, Lessons Learned, 2 P's & 3 MP's

Pass Exam First Attempt, Lessons Learned, 2 P's & 3 MP's 6 years 10 months ago #11042

• Jill Haycock
  • Jill Haycock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I decided to get my PMP certification at the beginning of this year. I have been a Project Manager for over 10 years (specifically interactive/web projects). Once I reviewed the application process, I started looking for options on how to get the 35 hours needed and found the prepcast to be recommended by lots of sites/people and decided that was the right approach for me since I needed to by able to learn on my own time and online. The application process was intense and I did write everything out in a google doc before I entered in the information into the online application form. It took me 3 weeks to get the application done.

I watched the podcasts as outlined by Cornelius and followed his recommendation on order and sat at my computer and took notes on every episode. It took me 3 months to get through it all, at the same time I was reading over the PMBOK guide, which I probably skimmed through twice. I also took the practice test at the end of each chapter.
I felt like I needed one other resource so I ended up buying the Head First PMP book, which I really enjoyed and thought it was a great summary of everything I heard and learned via the prepcast. I then started taking practice exams (in May) and was scoring in the 70's for the first 3 I took. I realized there were some gaps in my knowledge so I also purchased Rita Mulchay's book. I didn't do all of the exercises in her book but I did do all of the exams at the end of each chapter. After spending more time studying, I then started to score in the 80's, which was my goal. In the end, I took 8 practice exams (scores ranged from 70-87%), 3 ITTO's exams (high 80's on all of them), as well as a ton of learning tests (20 questions max on each and would put a knowledge area to focus on). I took exams right up to the real exam on 6/24.

My exam was scheduled at Noon so I had plenty of time in the morning to relax and my drive was only 45 minutes. I didn't go to the exam site beforehand, I felt like I didn't need to and that worked out fine for me. They actually called me to let me know I could come in early, which I did, so I started the exam earlier than expected, which was great.
Once the clock started ticking, I did a brain dump (the facilities provided paper, pencil and headphones) and the calculator is part of the exam software. My brain dump included the 3.1 knowledge/process chart from the PMBOK guide as well as formula's. That only took me 7 mins then I started with question 1. I was nervous on the first 20, then I relaxed and ended up making it to question #150 before I took a break. I got a drink, went to the restroom and had a mint, then went back in to finish.

It took my about 3.25 hrs total for entire exam, I did marked about 20-25 for review. When I got to #100, I went back and reviewed the ones I had marked so far, then I did the same at the end. I ended up changing a couple answers that were marked so I'm glad I used that feature. At the end of the exam, there was a questionnaire about the exam facilities so I took that to calm my nerves then hit the end exam, and within seconds my score was revealed! You Passed! 3 MP's & 2 P's. I walked out, signed out, got my print out and left.

The exam itself was hard and more PDM based questions than I thought there would be, and less formula questions. I would say most were 'what do you do next' and 'what could you have done to avoided this situation' type questions. I felt I was prepared though. There were a lot of questions that come down to 2 possible answers (in my mind at least), which I found hard but I focused and talked through the choices and went with what I thought was the best answer, even if it was not obvious at first.

What I think helped me:
-Prepcast/Podcast: actively listening and taking notes
-Practice Exams: I would have taken more if I had time; the 8 I listed above were just the prepcast ones, I also took other online examples and also the ones in the books I had. This were key for me to get a handle on how questions were worded and what is being asked. I also took the time to review the questions I got wrong and took notes on each one and then went back and reviewed.
-Having another resource to read; apart from the PMBOK guide: buying Head First and Rita's book might have been overkill, but I needed the extra reassurance and those 2 books are so different, it really helped me understand the processes.
-Flashcards: I made my own.

What I would have done different:
At this point, I'd say nothing, I went in with a plan, booked my exam date and stuck with it. Luckily, I work from home, part-time, so I had the extra time to focus.

Good luck PM peeps! Hope this helps.
Jill

Pass Exam First Attempt, Lessons Learned, 2 P's & 3 MP's 6 years 10 months ago #11050

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Jill,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login