fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I passed the PMP exam on the first try! 3 Proficient and 2 Moderately Proficient.

I passed the PMP exam on the first try! 3 Proficient and 2 Moderately Proficient. 6 years 10 months ago #10821

• Todd Clark
  • Todd Clark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well...I did it, and it feels wonderful. I was shooting for proficient in all five process groups, but I am happy with my results. How did I do it? The PM Prepcast was essential for me. I work for a weak matrix organization, and am basically a project coordinator. I have no authority over the budget or resources...but, the success or failure of the project rests on my shoulders and I am judged by the outcome. My knowledge of project management was pretty standard. I perform work in all areas from initiation to closing. The terminology and the ITTO's were not something I was too familiar with, and those are the areas I struggled with while learning.
I wanted to get certified in order to be able to take the skills I knew and market them on my resume for a job search. I did not have any issue with my experience for the PMI requirements, but I lacked PDU's. I found the PM Prepcast, researched it, and thought the price for the Prepcast and Exam Simulator (the elite package) was exactly what I needed. I am so glad I took that leap and bought it. I downloaded the student workbook and did exactly what it said, in the order it said. I listened to Cornelius' tips and tricks on everything from driving to my testing place before the test date to being prepared for an audit, which I didn't have to go through.
I did the pre self-assessment to see where I stood without and lessons, and scored a 36%. I was discouraged...but just to let you know, it was mainly due to not know the formal PMBok guide formal processes and terminology. My knowledge was there, just not in a formal manner.
As I said above, I followed Cornelius' direction to the letter. I listened to the podcasts attentively in the evening, and as I did each module I would read the corresponding chapter in the PMBok guide. I would listen to the same podcasts as I drove or worked in the lab....though I would recommend this as a secondary method. You really need to sit and listen...and not be distracted.
I bought the PM formula guide, too. That was a great choice. I did not do the practice test in the formula guide until I finished all the lessons, but I did practice all the equations from the formula pocket guide/sheet. Someone had recommended this in the lessons learned formula, and it really, really helped. I learned them in batches, i.e. EVM, Pert, Depreciation, ect and as I learned I would copy them down on a page a couple times a day. When I finally did the 106 questions, I didn't even need to look at them...and I didn't write them down on my brain dump sheet on test day.
I bought Rita Mulcahy's PM Exam Prep. The process chart game was essential...this is another highly recommended need. I should have read this book as I listened to Cornelius' lessons, too, in addition to the PMBok guide.
I created flash cards for just the ITTO's. The downloadable flash cards from OSP couldn't be categorized that way. Each flash card and Inputs, Tools and Techniques, or Outputs for each knowledge area. See attachments. This worked great for me and really helped me grasp how the ITTO's interrelated. I wish I had done this early on in my studying. I did it three weeks from test time. The ITTO's and their order always came up as knowledge gaps.
I took the self-assessment from the study guide after I finished all the podcasts lessons, read the PMBok guide and the PMP Exam Prep and scored a 92%. What an improvement.
On test day, I ate a good breakfast, got to the test site early, and went in with a positive attitude. I put some stuff down on paper for my brain dump, but didn't use it. There were fewer equation questions than I anticipated, and a lot more process questions, included ITTO's. All of the above helped. I closed my eyes as the computer was processing my answers and was thrilled when it said I passed.
Attachments:

I passed the PMP exam on the first try! 3 Proficient and 2 Moderately Proficient. 6 years 10 months ago #10847

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Todd Clark,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you to prepare and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login