fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP lesson learned

PMP lesson learned 6 years 11 months ago #10637

• Thu Nguyen
  • Thu Nguyen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I am Thu Nguyen. I passed the PMP exam on May 12th, 2017 with Proficient results in all 5 process groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, Closing) on my first attempt. Below is my own experience in the PMP journey.

I started my journey by studying for the CAPM exam which I passed in July 2014 with Proficient results in 3 domains: Project Management and Processes in Context, Project Integration Management and Project Scope Management. For the rest domains, I got Moderately Proficient results. With CAPM certificate, I worked as Project Planning Supervisor for the projects of new factory construction for 3 years. At the beginning of 2017, I made a decision to study for the PMP Certification Exam.

1. I spent 3 months (Feb – May) with about 5 hours/ day to study for the exam. My advice is that you do not have to study for 5 hours nonstop per day but you can manage your time throughout the day and find a slot to study.

2. The e-books I chose for the PMP exam:
- Head First PMP, 3rd Edition: I would recommend this book for beginners who do not know much about project management knowledge and skills.
- PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition
- PMP®_Exam_Prep_8th_Edition by Rita_Mulcahy
From these three books, I made my own handwritten notes. I find the handwriting makes the contents bear in my mind better. In my notes, I summarize the key points of each knowledge areas and draw mind-maps for the ITTO (Inputs, Tools and Techniques, Outputs). I advise that you review the ITTO every day during the exam preparation.

3. There are several mobile apps to study for the PMP Exam but the one I would suggest is PMP® Exam Mentor which includes 8 sections: Project Framework, Process Group, Formula, Flash Card, Knowledge Area, Glossary, Tip and more than 1,000 Practice Questions. I found this app really useful and convenient.

4. Another materials I chose to study is from the website edward-designer.com/web/pmp/ by Edward Chung (PMP® Certification, PMI-ACP®, ITIL® v3 Foundation and Zend PHP). He is busy with a full-time job and a family with 3 kids; but he still managed the time well for the PMP Certification Exam. The experience and tips Edward shares on his website are very useful. You can read his study notes for reference, learn about the Calculation and Formula questions, 47 pairs of easily confused terms and other valuable guides to be successful for the exam. Besides Edward’s website, you can visit LinkedIn Group named “I want to be a PMP®”, an extremely active PMP study group which share tips about all things related to PMP Credential.

5. For practice, the first source I would suggest is Free PMP Daily Questions from Mosaic. Next, you should take advantage of all free practice questions and practice tests you can find. After that, you ought to spend some money on paid tests. Depending on your own budget, you can choose from various sources described in this link www.pmbypm.com/best-pmp-exam-simulator/ . I myself purchased the package of Christopher Scordo, Sabri Calisici and one test from PM Study. My personal advice is that the more you practice, the better you become. You should learn from every right and wrong answer in the practice tests. PMP = PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

6. As the Brain dump is not allowed during Tutorial Section anymore, you should take 5-10 first minutes of the exam time to write down key facts, concepts, and formulas. This technique will help you unload your brain on the close book exam like PMP Certification Exam.

7. Last but not least is psychological preparation. One day before the exam, you should take some rest and go to bed early. On the exam day, you ought to leave home for the test early to back up for all possible situations such as bad traffic, bad weather and so on. During 4 hours, after answering every 25 or 50 questions, take a deep breath then continue until you finish all 200 questions. This helps you gain more energy and confidence for such a long test.

I would like to attach here my favorite quote “THE WILL TO SUCCEED IS IMPORTANT, BUT WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT IS THE WILL TO PREPARE.” (Bobby Knight)
Well prepare for the PMP exam and you can make it.
I wish you success for the exam.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosana Juestel
Last edit: by Thu Nguyen.

PMP lesson learned 6 years 11 months ago #10681

• ERIC BARTLETT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Wow, 5 Ps! Awesome job!
Thank you for sharing those great study tips! "PMP=Practice Makes Perfect"

Regards,
Eric Bartlett, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thu Nguyen
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login