fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my PMP exam on first attempt

Passed my PMP exam on first attempt 6 years 11 months ago #10455

• HReceno, PMP, CBAP
  • HReceno, PMP, CBAP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello! I'm happy to report that I sat for the PMP exam on April 26, 2017 and passed on the first attempt with 4 MPs and 1 P.

Study Materials:
Head First PMP, read x1 - very good book to start with. It was easy to understand and the exercises were very helpful (especially the forward/backward/float calculations for Critical Path). However, you could skip this book if you have time to read Rita's PMP Exam Prep more than once.
Rita's PMP Exam Prep, read x3 - much more detailed than Head First PMP. I did not do all of the exercises and chapter tests nor did I memorize Rita's processes.
PMBOK Guide, read x1 - I would suggest reading PMBOK guide last. By the time I got to this book, the reading did not seem dry at all. It felt like a review.
NOTE: After all the reading I did, honestly, the ITTOs came naturally. I didn't attempt to memorize them.

Notes:
I made my own notes using PMBOK guide and then added context using Rita's PMP Exam Prep.

Mock Exams:
Watermark Learning - drills were very useful for testing knowledge at the end of each chapter; but do not recommend purchasing it.
PM PrepCast - worth every penny I spent. I took six mock exams and reviewed all the answers I got wrong after each exam was completed. Between the six mock exams, I scored an average 74% correct answers for first time attempt.

Study Plan:
I studied in one hour increments (using a timer) with 5-10 minute breaks in between. I read as much as I could and when it felt like I was no longer absorbing the material (mentally drained), I stopped immediately (stopped timer as well). During the week and after a long day at work, I averaged 2-3 hours of reading and 5-6 hours on Saturdays. Sunday was break day - absolutely no studying! I recorded all the hours I studied for each day...something about it gave me some sort of accountability to myself.

After each chapter read, I did an exam drill (used Watermark). It was usually 25 questions and KA specific.

Three weeks before exam:
1. Read only my notes.
2. Each day until the exam, I wrote out Table 3.1 from PMBOK Guide (Process Groups, KAs and 47 processes).
3. Did "formula drills" - each day (until the exam), I learned one new formula and then added another one the next day e.g. Day 1, learned formula for CV; Day 2, wrote out formula for CV and learned formula for SV; Day 3, wrote out formulas for CV, SV and learned formula for CPI and so on. Don't forget to understand what each calculation means for the project! E.g. What does a negative or less than 1 CV/CPI mean?

One week before exam:
4. Read PMI Code of Ethics.
5. PM Prep Cast mock exams - I did one a day. You really need to set aside time for this and preferably when you have next to nothing distractions. It did get very tiring bc you cannot pause the exam. Allocate time to review the exam after and understand why you got the questions (if any) wrong.

One day before exam:
6. Read the PMBOK Guide Glossary in its entirety. Saved this one for last.
7. Closed all PMP textbooks and related materials at 6 p.m. and spent the evening doing something I haven't done in 3 months...relax!

Exam day:
8. I kid you not, I drove to Prometric testing site with Eminem's Lose Yourself playing over and over until I got to the parking lot bc truly....success was my only option!!!
9. At the testing location, you go through security, no access to your locker for the duration of the exam and cannot do "brain dumps" during the tutorial.
10. Aim to answer 50 questions every hour. I'm not sure how others did not need it, but I used up all 4 hours allocated for the exam. In fact, I ran out of time!

Total study time: 3 months

In closing, I wish all future PMP aspirants the best of luck. I hope you will find my experience helpful (I'm sure it's too much for some, but this worked for me). It was a lot of hard work and I thank my family for being so supportive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khaled Abulfotooh, Mahmoud Soliman
Last edit: by HReceno, PMP, CBAP.

Passed my PMP exam on first attempt 6 years 11 months ago #10473

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Great summary! Congrats!
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: HReceno, PMP, CBAP

Passed my PMP exam on first attempt 5 years 7 months ago #15078

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Herschell,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us here in the forum.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login