fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed Firt Attempt PMP 3Ps and 2 MPs

Passed Firt Attempt PMP 3Ps and 2 MPs 7 years 4 weeks ago #10320

• Dustin Hughes
  • Dustin Hughes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This past weekend 4/8/2016, I passed the PMP on the first Attempt. I made Proficient on (Planning, Executing and Monitoring and Controlling) and Moderately Proficient on (Initiating and Closing).

I took a little over 4 months to study and basically followed the Plan of the PM Prepcast. I studied 1-2 hours a night, we get the kids down by 8pm and I studied between then and bedtime. I took the weekends off at first, but by the end I was putting in a good effort on Saturday as well. I left Chapter 4 integration for last as the prepcast suggested, looking back I think that was the correct way to do it. I gave myself enough time to watch all the Prepcasts and read Rita's book leaving a week and a half to focus on my weak areas before my test date.

In the last few days I went back and made sure I had the Process Chart down cold and basically memorized who was credited with what theory and when they should be applied. Since you can no longer do a brain dump during the tutorial I only wrote down a few formulas (Yeah that is new as of a couple months). I did not bother trying to memorize the process chart until I was almost done with studying, at this point it made more sense and seemed less like pure memorization.

In the last month I took 4 full length sample test. I also did the quizzes at the end of the Chapter. I scored in the high 70's on the last couple full length tests from the prep cast simulator, and around 67% on the first. Your ability to endure 3 - 4 hours of intense focus is like a muscle that needs to be built up. When I did the first full length I found myself wanting to bail out on questions. I was much less fatigued when I finished the last practice test and the actual exam than I was when I did the first exam. I tied up a lot of memorization loose ends after I took my last full length so realistically I would have probably scored in the low 80's if I took one more practice test the day before the exam.

The day before the exam I drove to a friends house 2 hours away (we do not have a local testing center). I had a nice Italian dinner a couple glass of wine and probably did not study a full hour the entire day( flash cards of who did what what, formulas and process chart only). On exam morning I got up early and walked the process chart through verbally while my friend held the chart and verified my answers. Having a good command of what comes next is key.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

PS. Yesterday I washed my boat, I look forward to doing something different with my downtime.

Dusitn H, PMP.

Passed Firt Attempt PMP 3Ps and 2 MPs 7 years 3 weeks ago #10347

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Dustin,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login