fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Suggested PMP Study Plan

Suggested PMP Study Plan 7 years 3 weeks ago #10317

• James Anderson
  • James  Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I took the exam on Saturday and passed. I received two moderately proficient scores and three proficient. I have enjoyed reading many lessons learned leading up to the exam. Here is information as I would have liked to see it about how to study for the exam. Studying takes up many hours and so I wanted to make it as efficient as possible. In some areas I succeeded and in some areas didn't do so well. Regardless, here is how I would do it now looking back.

Phase I: Study two exam prep sources concurrently
Goal: This first pass you are trying to gain a general understanding. Know each process group, the key documents in general, and work exercises and math problems. This is your foundation.
  • Start by getting three study sources. This could be Prepcast, Rita, and PMBOK. Or Headfirst, Rita, and PMBOK or some other combination. However you must include the PMBOK as one of your three sources.
  • Now that you have these three sources dump the PMBOK. Do not start by reading it! Don't worry you'll come back to it in a later phase but for now you are trying to get the most out of your materials and the PMBOK reads like an encyclopedia. It is going to take too much effort to understand it to start with.
  • What you will do is take your two other sources and study one chapter or section of the first source. Read carefully, highlight and take notes, and complete the exercises. You will then take your second source and read or listen to the same section in that source. Again take notes, do exercises and understand this material.
  • Now take one of the end of chapter exams. You should score over 70%, if not review the material again and take a different exam that covers the same material.
  • At the start of each study session write out the process groups and knowledge areas you have learned based on the "Project Management Process Group and Knowledge Area Mapping" chart currently found on page 61 of the PMBOK. For example, as you learn the project framework you will write out the process groups and knowledge areas only. As you continue to study you will learn about Integration Management so write out the processes related to Integration management along with the KA and PG. Do this every time you begin studying. By the end of Phase I you should be able to write out this entire chart by memory.
  • After completing your study of both sources take a timed 200 question, 4 hour test. This test will be used to provide you with a baseline and aid you in your phase II study.

Phase II: Study PMBOK and one of the other two sources
Goal: Gain a clear understanding of each of the ITTOs and their relationships, cement in the previous knowledge.
  • Review all the answers to the missed and confusing questions on the 4 hour exam you just completed. Look for areas where you missed multiple questions or areas where you need a better understanding. These are key study areas for this next round. Also, note issues with your test taking strategy. Did you misread a question? Did you take too long? Come up with a plan to improve these areas.
  • In this second round you are going to study PMBOK and one of your previous two sources. In the PMBOK your goal is to understand the reason for each ITTO, and to find information that was either unclear or not adressed in your first two sources.
  • Make connections with inputs and outputs. As you read ITTOs for each process list the key 2, 3, or 4 inputs and outputs on the PG and KA Mapping chart on p 61 (print out a bunch of these so you can repeat this step again and again). Connect inputs and outputs using arrows. Some key outputs will not have inputs (or vise versa), just write them down by the process. This is a key part of studying. Don't skip it! Some people have used other methods, but however you do it you must understand how the inputs and outputs link together. I like this method because it is visual and involves writing.
  • You are also going to start practicing your brain dump by writing down the formulas you will need for the test. Personally, I do not recomend making your brain dump very long. This is time from your test so you probably don't want to map out all the processes. Just key formulas and perhaps a few ideas. Writing this out should take less than 5 minutes at the start of the exam.
  • At the end of each section again take an additional 20 question quiz (use Prepcast or one of your sources that has questions you have not seen).
  • Take another 4 hour 200 question exam. Your percentage correct should have improved from the last 4 hour exam. For reference, my scores were in the 80's, but some may be at different areas. However, I would expect to see at least 70s or low 80's.

Phase III: Exams, Flashcards, and Brain Dump
Goal: Detailed understanding of each sub-plan, key forms, tools and techniques, and brain dump
  • As before review missed questions on the exam. Where a question was missed or a concept was not clear, create a flashcard. Look for the big idea. What did you not understand, is it just a term, or is it a larger concept? Write it down and start studying. Note: I don't care if the format is flash cards, but you need some way to quiz yourself. These are ideas that have just not stuck after multiple passes. One note of caution, do not get stuck in minutia. I think I had a problem here. I was learning too many new terms that were on the fringe. The test stuck to key areas I had reviewed in the books.
  • Skim your three exam prep sources and notes. Make flashcards for any terms, concepts, sequences, form details, etc. you do not understand.
  • Once flash cards are created start reviewing them. If you can get a card right set it aside. Your goal is to whittle down these cards. Keep in mind that on the test it is multiple choice so what you are doing here is a little harder which is good.
  • Every study session go over your brain dump (math formulas, and perhaps a key thought or two). I also suggest you write out the PG and KA along with the inputs and outputs if these are not solid. However, this second section will not be written out as a brain dump.
  • At least once a week take a 200 question 4 hour test. As before review and make flash cards of questions you do not understand.
  • Now, go and take the test!

I studied for 15 hours a week for a total of 3 months. The key here is not how many days but how many hours. If you have 30 hours a week you can probably do it in 1 1/2 months. Despite all my work, I did the most learning the first two months, so I may have been able to take the test at that point. But better to be over prepared.

Set a schedule and stick to it. I studied for five hours on Saturday's, 3 hours on Tuesdays, and 3 hours on Thursdays, plus an hour or so a couple of the other days.

Make sure to sign up for an exam simulator. This is money well spent. This is how you know your gaps in the last phase of studying. I did take some of the free on line sources, but I much preferred the quality of the paid for exams.

I realize everyone has slightly different ways to study and learn. But I suggest to use this as a baseline and modify it as needed.

That's it. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maiha Le

Suggested PMP Study Plan 7 years 3 weeks ago #10319

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Congrats and nice info to share!
Community Moderator
Last edit: by Scott Gillard.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login