fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt)

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 1 month ago #10223

• Amar Pallavaram
  • Amar Pallavaram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi all, I took my PMP exam today in Harrisburg, PA and passed with 4 MP and 1 P (Monitor and Controlling). My feedback is broken into 2 parts.
1. Exam feedback (I wanted to start with this as this is what I looked for when I was looking at previous lessons learned)
2. My Preparations

Exam Feedback
I got to the testing center 30 minutes before my scheduled time. The check in process was easy and straight forward. Apart from the usual checking and locking in your stuff in the locker, what I learnt was once my locker was locked, I couldn’t open it until my test was done. I had a snack and a bottle of water, which I put in top of the locker, just in case. I wasn’t allowed to write anything on paper until I actually started the test.
Once I finished the initial tutorial, I was on question 1, with the timer on the top right. I wrote the 47 processes and some of the key formulas. That took me about 6 minutes.
The format and the navigation of the screens was very similar to the prepcast simulator with a few differences. The strikeout feature was neat, although I didn’t use it much. There also was a select and highlight feature, where you could select any text on the screen and highlight it in yellow. I didn’t use this feature at all.

The big things to note were:
1. There were zero direct ITTO questions. Yes, that’s correct zero. The ones which appeared were scenario based
2. There were about a dozen math questions. The n/w diagram questions were very tricky I thought and not straight forward. Cost questions were pretty straight forward
3. Questions were not very wordy at all compared to prep cast. The question however were very cleverly framed and I had to re-read a few of them multiple times
4. I thought I had a boat load of questions on risks, quality and project closure
5. The questions really tested my understanding of the different process and their interactions

The first 100 question took me just about 2 hours. I took a quick 4-minute break. The second 100 questions went much faster and I had about 15 minutes to review all of the answers which I wasn’t very sure about to review. As I was marking the answers for review later, I wrote down the question numbers of the ones which were a pure educational guess, just in case if I didn’t have time to review all the marked answers, I would at least review those. I however had enough time to review all of my marked questions and clicked end exam just under a minute to go. After the feedback screens, I saw the results. I was thrilled!

My Preparation
I studied for 4 months. I started December 2016. This was my plan (listing the milestones only) and I followed it making changes where necessary
1. December-Mid Jan – Read Rita. It’s a laborious read, but well worth it and remember to do the end of chapter quizzes. It helps your confidence.
2. Mid Jan-Mid Feb – Read PMBOK. Midway through I changed my strategy and only read scope, time, cost and risk in PMBOK and reread Rita for some of the key areas I was struggling with.
3. I had signed up online classes via pmtraining. I have heard only positive things about prepcast podcasts, but I had already signed up or pmtraining. I liked their summary slide decks for each KA which I used as a supplement guide
4. Also, starting February, I had starting using prepcast and pmtraining simulators and tested each of my KA via quizzes.
5. I monitored my score and focused on weak areas.
6. The first 2 weeks in March, I focused on my weakest area by reading Rita primarily and PMBOK for helpful diagrams if applicable and followed it up with quizzes.
7. The last 2 weeks in March, I solely focused on quizzes. I also took the first 3 PMP exams of the 9 listed.
8. I did not focus a lot on memorizing the ITTO. This was a calculated risk, based on what I was reading in lessons learned about PMI moving away from direct ITTO questions. This did pay off in my case.
9. Across both the simulators my average scores on the PMP exam was 81% and across all quizzes was 77%.
10. As I was studying I prepared a condensed summary of each chapter (14 slides) and I used it extensively the last couple of days. This may not suit everyone, but it helped me a lot.

I have two little kids and balancing being a father and husband along with a full-time job wasn’t easy. But with the support of my family and about 10-15 hours every week I was able to do it in my first attempt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anton Tsvetkov, Khaled Abulfotooh, Venkata Surya Sagi, Debanjon Dhar

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 1 month ago #10244

• Max
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well done! Congrats!

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 1 month ago #10255

• Rawan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congrats! :) :)
and thanks very mush for yours LL,
but can I ask for something, please?

for this point:
As I was studying I prepared a condensed summary of each chapter (14 slides) and I used it extensively the last couple of days. This may not suit everyone, but it helped me a lot.

can you please share these slides with us?

Thanks a lot :)

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 1 month ago #10273

• Amar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I can email it to you..

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 3 weeks ago #10316

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Please be aware that publicly posting your personal email addresses can lead to spam.
Community Moderator

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 2 weeks ago #10374

• Amar Pallavaram
  • Amar Pallavaram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Agree with scott on the public email id posting. Although I have emailed the condensed version to the three emails IDs who requested it.

Please remember, this version worked for me based on how are I prepared for the exam. My goal in preparing this deck was to keep it as short as possible as a quick review guide for each KA. This may not necessarily work for you. Edit as you see fit for your style.

Passed my PMP today with 4 MP and 1 P (first attempt) 7 years 2 weeks ago #10376

• Rajesh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Please send me as well. ..
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login