fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the PMP Exam 1st try on March 9, 2017! Lessons learned.

Passed the PMP Exam 1st try on March 9, 2017! Lessons learned. 7 years 1 month ago #10008

• Barry Brandt
  • Barry Brandt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
First, I wish I found PM Prepcast earlier in my studies. I got the simulator a week before the test. Here are my tips.
1. Take the timed simulators so you get used to taking 200 questions with some pressure. I was able to finish the simulators in around 2.5 to 3 hours but the real exam took me almost the full 4 hours with only one break.
2. Mark all answers you are unsure of. I found most of the marked ones I got right and most of the questions I got wrong I didn't mark. So if on the real exam you aren't sure of the marked questions (if you have time to review them) usually your first choice is probably correct. I did change 2 that I was sure were wrong on the exam.
3. When reviewing the marked and wrong answers after the simulated exam read the referenced PMBOK page that the answer gives you. It's a great way to study the PMBOK and also the answers will make more sense. I suggest reading the PMBOK ( not the most exciting read) at least once before trying the simulator. Another book is Rita Mulcahy's Exam Prep. Do her Process game.
4. Know your ITTO's! Not memorize (though know what each one means) them but know the processes very well and the sequence of what comes first so you will be able to logically answer the situational questions and figure out the ITTO being asked about.
4. Stay well hydrated a few days before the test and eat healthy. The exam is a workout and hopefully you will be in shape after taking multiple simulated exams.
5. Beware of some of the free exams and quizzes. I found multiple typos and even wrong answers after referencing the PMBOK. That could hurt more than help. That is why I decided a week before the exam to get prepcast. I don't recommend waiting to the last minute like I did. Even if the free exams could be an issue the free flash cards can be very helpful.
6. When taking the real exam plan your break or breaks. The security is real tight and you will be checked going in and out. I was unlucky during my break getting behind someone that was checking back in that took precious minutes off the ticking clock so I only ended up taking 1 break.
7. Don't worry if you don't consistently score 80 or better on the simulators which I was told. As long as you can get mid to high 70's and learn from your wrong and marked answers you will be prepared.
8. PMI doesn't allow brain dumps anymore. I still took 2.5 minutes to write my formulas once the clock started. I never used it as I knew the formulas by heart. It's just gives you a sense of security.
9. Every exam is different so even if someone tells you they didn't have many formulas or network diagrams or ITTO's it doesn't mean that you won't have questions on these.
10. Finally relax and think about what the question is asking. If you studied and are prepared you can usually logically answer the question by narrowing down the choices to 2. As you all heard there could be 2 correct answers but there is only one best answer.

Cheers and good luck!

Passed the PMP Exam 1st try on March 9, 2017! Lessons learned. 7 years 1 month ago #10037

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
welcome to the team?
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login