fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Application, PM Cast, Brain Dump and Exam Lessons Learned

Application, PM Cast, Brain Dump and Exam Lessons Learned 7 years 1 month ago #9800

• William Crandell
  • William Crandell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
--Overall: I think the studying and exam has a been a very worthwhile process. I took me 2 months from the day I joined PMI and purchased study materials to the day I passed my exam on my first try. I was not working at the time so I was able to apply ~250 hours to this effort. If you want to pass the exam with a solid score then I definitely recommend putting in the study time to learn the terminology, processes, etc., even if you have many years of PM experience.
--The application: Keep in mind you only have 500 character (not 500 words) to document your experience. Also, I agree with those who say to use PMBOK terminology when documenting experience. I can see a big improvement in the description that I wrote after I read the PMBOK vs the one I wrote before. I was not audited.
--Using the PM PrepCast: I recommend this material. I found it effective to listen to the audio, take notes then follow-up by reading the corresponding PMBOK sections. The lengthy interviews and some other sections were well suited to listening while driving or exercising. The software made me wait 2 weeks from the purchase date until I could take the test to earn the credits but I waited longer so I could complete all the materials first. I probably should have taken that test much sooner so I could have moved my PMP application ahead more quickly, then finished the less critical audio files later.
--I read the PMBOK twice, used PM PrepCast with 650 exam questions, took 1,100 additional free on-line exam questions then 1,000 PM PrepCast exam simulator questions. I felt confident going into the exam and did fairly well on the exam (3 areas of proficiency and 2 areas of mostly proficient).
--Scheduling the exam: There are plenty of testing sites near me so I preferred to wait until I felt ready to take the exam before I actually scheduled it. I did not want to commit to a date hoping I would be ready. I could have schedule with about 1 week lead time but took the 2 week lead in order to get a location closer to home. It was much easier to scout the location and closer to home in case of poor (snowy) weather.
--The brain dump. I expected to use some of the pre-test 15 minute tutorial for the brain dump but when I arrived at the test site I was told I could not start writing until I actually started the test. My brain dump took 28 minutes and I started out slowly for the first 75-100 questions but I was able to pick up the pace and finish with 8 minutes to go. My brain dump included: the process group names/numbers and knowledge areas chart , ETC, EAC, PERT, sigma, EV and other formulas, 7QP tools, plus I/O process numbers for work performance data-info-reports, change log, issue log, stakeholder register, risk register and a visual drawing of a FW/BW pass.
--Going into the exam I planned to write down the number/description of the questions where I was uncertain so I would not have to scroll through a bunch of marked questions if I wanted to quickly find a specific question. However, I also planned to not revisit questions w/o a strong reason to do so. I only marked/revisited 1 question and went with my first answer on all the others. This worked out well and helped me avoid a last minute flurry of changes or self-doubt.
--Good luck, I hope this info helps!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login