fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Exam Success - Passed on 12/30/2016

PMP Exam Success - Passed on 12/30/2016 7 years 2 months ago #9791

• Sarah Koehler
  • Sarah Koehler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I took the PMP Exam on 12/30/2016. I spent approximately 16 weeks preparing for the exam using a combination of the following 4 tools: Electronic version of PMBOK, PMP Exam Prep, by Rita Mulcahy, the PM PrepCast, and the PM Exam Simulator. I found that all of these tools complemented each other and were all instrumental to my success. I started by reading both the PMBOK and Rita’s book cover to cover. This set the baseline for me to understand the cyclical nature of the process. From there I listened to all of PM PrepCasts that didn’t discuss a specific knowledge area. After that I started back on the knowledge areas and began my deep dive. I would read one knowledge area and listen to the PrepCast for it as well; taking detailed notes the entire time. I did that through all the knowledge areas.

After I completed all of that I started my PMP Exam Simulator and took EVERY test. I would take 2 tests per week; and even re-took 2 exams that I had scored the lowest on a second time. I would mark any question I didn’t immediately know and review at the end of each exam. Using the PM Exam Simulator testing statistic I was able to focus my studies on the area that I was deficient and re-focus my effort on the specific knowledge area. I would also add to my notes where needed or highlight common threads. At the end of my review, my “notes” were actually a 47 page document!

I did memorize all the knowledge areas and the 47 process groups, but did not memorize all of the ITTO’s. My notes really helped me to make those connections between knowledge areas and know why outputs out of one process were inputs into others. I really liked having the electronic version of the PMBOK to reference terms that came up often. A quick search of the text and I would be able to quickly see how one term crossed multiple areas (i.e. Work Performance Information/Data).

On the day of my exam I felt prepared and ready to go. I did use my first 15 minutes of the exam to complete a “brain dump”. My first 60 questions were tough and I wasn’t sure I was going to finish in enough time. I made myself calm down and luckily was able to cruise through the remaining questions, leaving me 90 minutes to review the approximately 40 questions I had marked to review at the end; I used every last minute. Needless to say I was ecstatic when the “Congratulations you Passed” message displayed on the screen.

Good luck to you all on this endeavor; with enough time, focus, and dedication you can do it!! :)

PMP Exam Success - Passed on 12/30/2016 7 years 2 months ago #9792

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Sarah Koehler,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam!

Thanks for sharing your lessons learned and for inspiring others in their preparations.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC

PMP Exam Success - Passed on 12/30/2016 7 years 2 months ago #9802

• Alla Riley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congratulations on your PMP Exam Success! I am very happy, but I just passed that exam myself:) :P It was quite a journey. Needless to say, that if one has a full-time job, several children, and parents that need your help, preparation for that test becomes challenging, and the key is to do as many practice questions as possible.
In my opinion, learning how PMI thinks was much more important, than trying to logically tackle these questions from my personal perspective.
Knowledge of formulas is very important. I used several sources:
1. All Learning materials from the LEarning Tree, Inc
2. All recommended websites by C. Fichter
3. I took an exam simulator, watched several useful videos
4. I took at least 5000 practice questions from difference places - my vendor questions , Oliver Lehman, Mr. Fichter, PMStudy, etc.
5. Understanding EVM is much more important than memorizing formulas

And last, but not least, studying the night before is not a great idea...makes you extremely tired on your test day.

The best of luck, everybody!!!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login