fbpx

Reply: Feb 6, 2017. Passed PMP 1st Time! We'll sort of!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Feb 6, 2017. Passed PMP 1st Time! We'll sort of!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 2 months ago #9770

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Wow James. Great story of perseverance! Congrats on passing the exam!!

Cheers,

Mark
7 years 2 months ago #9769

James McManners

My trek to the PMP may be a little different than most. I took the exam in 07 and did not pass, and for various reasons, I did not retake the exam. Fast forward 10 years, I always regretted not retaking the exam. I have been managing facility type projects for almost 20 years, so I talked myself into resubmitting to take the exam.
Unlike before, I committed myself to being prepared. I started researching the resources that were available and kept seeing PrepCast on the top of most people’s list. I started with the podcasts in order to get the 35 contact hours.
Once I was allowed to schedule my exam date, I planned for 3 months of study time. I read through the PMBOK Guide once, watched the podcasts twice, and took 4 full exams from the PrepCast simulator.
I am not sure why I had not heard, but the Friday before taking the exam on Monday, I heard about the change PMI made on brain dumps which put me in a panic. I could not afford to lose that much exam time then I got upset because PMI made the change then as any PM has to do sometimes I adapted. On Saturday morning, I revised my brain dump to an abbreviated version. I knew the material, and I just needed something to clear the clutter in my head during the pressure of taking the test. I studied 3 hours on Saturday then a 1 hour review on Sunday then I drank a couple of beers and watched the Super Bowl with friends. I was rooting for Atlanta.
The day of the exam I woke up at 5 am and did a quick 2 mile run to help calm my nerves. The testing center was only a couple of miles away but I allowed enough time for traffic and to call my wife to pick me up in case I had car trouble. During the exam, I reminded myself to take deep breaths to keep the anxiety down. I finished the exam with 4 minutes to spare, and I had answered all the questions and guessed on a couple, so I did not go back to review. When I clicked on the End Exam button and I saw the “Congratulations”, I shed tears of relief that after 10 years I am a PMP!
Studying 1 to 2 hours a day was the key for being prepared. The mock exams were very beneficial in giving me confidence; however, I did find the real exam questions to be a little more difficult but shorter in length. The podcasts were very helpful with Cornelius giving his insight to the lessons.
I want to thank Cornelius and the entire PrepCast family in helping make my goal a reality.
Justine says: don’t sweat it Brother keep trying till you pass!
Until next time!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login