fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9700

• Lawrence Li
  • Lawrence Li's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes! Hello all, I cannot wait to write something in this forum! Today I just passed the PMP exam and it's time for me to write lesson learned here, my turn!

Before I record my lesson learned here I should say thanks for PMPCast and the helpers who answered me.

I have a negative feeling of taking exam in past – I failed CISSP many years ago and I fear these kind of exam, zero confidence, I studied PMP v4 course 7 years ago but not taking the exam, cannot concentrate on the topics I learned. Last year I decide to take the exam and studied course again and read 3 books- PMBOK, Head First and Rita. I read PMBOK in last July and Head First last Nov, Rita last Dec. PMBOK is very bored, although many people like Head First, not the best way for me to learn (Graphics is good but I find myself don’t link with graphic style learning), but it still benefits me by having some important concept learned and clarified. Many people said Rita is not easy to study, however I find its good and down to the point (im not naïve reader), it points out many exam tricks and keypoints directly and I made my note based on Headfirst and Rita. I don’t like to read so I read the 3 books only once. Actually I should read once more again but time not allowing me to do so.

After my waterloo many years ago for the CISSP exam, I realize that keep practicing is the only way for me to win, I realize the 1500+ questions sheet on my hand (from my course) didn’t reflect the actual difficulty and some questions are for v4 (example, Administering procurement process), its horribly difficult and I always selected a wrong answer, at the same time I doubt the answer too (it don’t have any explanation), sometimes I search on web to see if any better explanation. I decided to join PMPrepcast for the 1800+ questions. I know it should get my money deserved and IT HELP ME A LOT and PMCAST is my critical point to get PMP passed! I m getting more familiar on the topics, keywords, theme, style, tone and whatever I should get. I got 72-78% at the first four simulation test and all passed for remain exams. I finished all questions and I suggest to do it all, I read the forum and see some people just answered 3 -4 exam and they doesn’t get their money deserved. Practicing using this way improves my confidence. It’s very tough experience, I wake up at 6 and do 4 hours of test, normally I used 3:30 hours to finished all, for ITTO I used about 2 hours for 200 questions.

For Headfirst I get 85% correct, Rita, 7x% I didn’t remember, Lenman, just 67%.

I felt that if I failed this exam, I have no way to further improve as I always did a lot I can for the preparation. I drank some power drink when I wake up hope my brain will be able to run smoothly.

Today, the test, I got the following result
Initiating: Moderate Proficient
Planning: Moderate Proficient
Executing: Moderate Proficient
Monitoring & Controlling: Proficient
Closing: Moderate Proficient

For my exam centre, my registration time is 9:00 but they spent a lot time for checking all applicants, I start at around 9:18
As every one have different start time, they cannot monitor which one is within the 15min pre-start time, what I mean is I can braindump during the 15 mins but I haven’t try, I feel I don’t need to braindump and for the formula they are just in my mind and those are simple. I can braindump ITTO but I choose to start asap.

The difficulty of question is OK (OK means I cannot sure all my questions are answered correctly, but that’s only few that I found I should answer incorrectly or very difficult). The highlight function and crossing answer out is good for me. There’ve about 2-3 questions about lesson learned, one question is where to update: lesson learned or project closure document for the closing process, I didn’t very sure. The worst thing for today exam is, I nearly used up all my time with just several min to review (my strategy is to try my best for each question, even I can review I think I should not able to choose a best choice anymore, my style), at the last 8 questions its quite rush. When I was reviewing my 3rd question I think I should choose a better answer but the timer suddenly say times up!! I should notice the timer earlier and what I can do is wait for the final processing, luckily I’m done with it.

Without PMPCast I cannot be success.

I’ve some extra topics (offtopic) hope you guys can give some suggestion to me.
1) I m thinking about taking Agile type exam, however, I don’t have Agile experience (I mean I don’t follow Agile methodology but I think the nature of my projects more or less similar to Agile ones), I am not sure if Agile cert is useful for me, so for this situational case, would I need to go for PMI-ACP or I just better simply go getting a SCRUM master cert?
2) PMPCast is specialize for PMP simulation questions, how about CISSP, do anyone know if there have any similar simulator for exam function (I may not really take this exam again but who knows)

Thanks and please add my pass record to the statistics.

Lawrence
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khaled Abulfotooh, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9703

• Senthilkumar Pachai
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Congrats Lawrance. How was the exam? Are questions near to Prepcast Mock? I going to take my exam within 2 weeks, I am got a score 70 to 79% in PM Prepcast. Any tips do you want to give to me?

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9709

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Lawrence,

Congrats to you!! Way to go!! I wish you all the best.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9722

• Lawrence Li
  • Lawrence Li's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

Senthilkumar Pachai wrote: Congrats Lawrance. How was the exam? Are questions near to Prepcast Mock? I going to take my exam within 2 weeks, I am got a score 70 to 79% in PM Prepcast. Any tips do you want to give to me?

I think for overall, real exam is similar, below is some points I observed

1) for PMP exam mocks, there've some questions which is obviously easy, in real exam, I guess about 2-3 q which isvery direct, that's why I don't have much time left
2 NO ITTO question in real exam, some of that are embedded in the question already
3 All situational questions in real exam
4 NO ethical question at all, I don't know why, I love to see this kind of questions
5. Got to choose the best answer among 2, sometimes even 3, I make use of cross answer function to make it easier to read
6. Click the answer once for selection but click once again will de-select, I don't like this function, I found I "didn't answer" one question when reviewing
7. all EVM calculation are too simple in real exam. I drilled this area I make sure I don't lose points here, I even study PTA kinds of questions too which is not common in real exam
8 Simulator is good, it make me aware of beta and averaging. In exam exam, 2 question ask to calculate, you have to decide to use beta or averaging
9. In exam exam, 2 questions is similar to another 2 questions but asking different things.
10. mark down question which you are unsure ( example, q10- theme ) , you may have questions that may provide you answer for that, it may be helpful.

Since you have two weeks, have you done all mock exam? I suggest you take the time and apply some leaves, wake up at 6, and work out some 4-hr exam again, check EVERY answer explanation to tune your mindset for the formal way of thinking , this is a good tuning for me. Capture some questions which you think is constructive or tricky to you. When you look over a question you should always estimate what process the question stating? you got to notice some KEYWORDS which give some hints for you, mislooking some of the keywords you will have some hard time.

You should try your best to keep to 80% score now, leave the final 2 days to review your notes and forumla,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9747

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Lawrence,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam!

Thanks for sharing your detailed lessons learned. I remember your valuable inputs that you provided using the LiveFeedbackTM feature of our simulator. We are glad to hear that our products helped you to prepare and pass your exam.

I would like to address your questions regarding the PMI-ACP certification. We cannot really confirm (or reject) that your agile experience is sufficient to comply with the PMI requirements. You will have to check this on the PMI web site:
www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp

However, if you decide to apply and you are approved, then we have everything you need to prepare for your exam: the Agile PrepCast to earn 35 PDU's (while only 21 are required to claim your contact hours) and the PMI-ACP Exam simulator. For more details, please check this link:
www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmi-acp-exam

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC

Passed PMP at 2/2/2017 my first attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9775

• Senthilkumar Pachai
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I completed all mocks Lawrence. Final two exam consistently got 79%. I am takING other mocks and reading again PMBOK.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login