fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed in the first attempt, non native English, Japanese speaker

Passed in the first attempt, non native English, Japanese speaker 7 years 2 months ago #9416

• SHINGO YANO
  • SHINGO YANO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I worked as a project manager in Japan for more than 20 years, in diverse field, but did not have PMP certificate.
( www.linkedin.com/in/shingo-yano-stark )
Even without a PMP certificate, I could have worked and be hired as a project manager.
I think in Japan, there are still lack of professionals and recognition of this certificate.
I decided to take a PMP when I engaged with Sydney girl and needed to move into Sydney. It was almost a year ago.

Here, for the Non-native English speaker, especially Japanese, my learned lessons:
1. Even if you are not good English speaker, I suggest to study everything in English
- Textbook, Webinar, e-learning and even dictionary (better not to translate and understand in your own language)
- There are language support on PMP test, but translation is not perfect, just expect them as a support
- Compare to Japanese, English is more logical language (this information is for only Japanese speaker)

2. PMBOK, PMPrepCast and one set of ExamSimulator is enough
- I actually bought few text book, but above 3 learning materials were enough I think
- PMPrepCast, the material that you can learn through Podcast, was wonderful tool for busy person, utilising your commuting rush hour
- PrepExamSimulator has enough questions to cover all of your weaknesses, by the time you finish all, you will be confident

3. Don't take too much time on studying, spend more time on Exam Simulator
- Studying is good any way if you like it, but to pass the exam, amount you did the ExamSimulator makes you confident as well as your competence
- There are a lot of exam sets in ExamSimulator, so take a few sets quickly, check your weakness and go back to PMBOK and PrepCast. Do them in parallel.
(Actually I spent too much time on studying materials, I think it was not the best way)

Thanks for reading, and all of the great materials and all of comments on forum here, I was encouraged a lot while I was studying.
I am so happy to be a globally certified professional, and now I will encourage all of my business friends to be recognise this PMP, as well as PMPrepCast.

By the way, I am studying PMP-ACP now and hopefully I can tell a good report on that too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Passed in the first attempt, non native English, Japanese speaker 7 years 2 months ago #9419

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Shingo,

Congrats on passing the exam and joining the PMP club. Thanks for posting your experience and lessons learned. Best of luck to you as a newly certified project manager.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed in the first attempt, non native English, Japanese speaker 7 years 2 months ago #9426

• Tajudeen M. Oyedele (PMP)
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Shingo,
Congratulations on your PMP certification and the nice report of your lesson learned.

Cheers.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login