fbpx

Reply: Passed the PMP - First Attempt, 12/30/2016

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed the PMP - First Attempt, 12/30/2016

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 4 months ago #9355

Tajudeen M. Oyedele (PMP)

Michael,
Congratulations for your successful PMP certification and well articulated lesson learnt.
Happy New Year

Tajudeen
7 years 4 months ago #9351

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Michael,

Congrats on passing the exam! Thanks for taking the time to post your lessons learned. Best of luck you as a newly certified PMP.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Mark
7 years 4 months ago #9348

Michael D. Elliott, PMP

's Avatar

I passed my PMP Exam on the first attempt yesterday. I would like to thank Cornelius Fichtner for the excellent support and extremely reasonable cost of assisting me in my PMP preparation. The PM PrepCast was a very good tool and the ongoing support that I received in the steady stream of emails was invaluable. Take advantage of the advice and links that Cornelius provides.
My “Lessons Learned” prior to the Test:
1. First, do not procrastinate. I was “qualified” to take the exam as of January 2, 2016. I was qualified but not prepared. In September 2016 I realized that unless I started to prepare, I would not ever be a PMP.
2. I signed up and downloaded the PM PrepCast materials to my computer and my High Resolution portable storage device. I also downloaded material from Daud Nasir and Crosswind Learning. These are quite reasonable on Amazon and everyone should pay their minimal fees even though I am sure they can be found elsewhere for free.
3. In November I started a consistent pattern of study and preparation. I would dedicate two hours a day to study in my office. I would recommend more but I am not very good at studying for long periods of time.
4. I stopped listening to music and would only listen to the various downloads while I drove the car. I do not believe this was a distraction but I remember suddenly becoming aware of significant points on more than one occasion.
5. I stopped drinking any alcohol. I did not have a drinking problem but found myself less likely to study after a beer or at least not as alert. I also found my sleep patterns improved without alcohol in my system.
6. I read the PMBOK twice, Andy Crowe’s book, and Aileen Ellis’s book as well. The broader range of perspectives also helps in understanding concepts and terminology.
7. Take numerous practice tests. I did not take any full length test but I can see that it would have been helpful. I only scored 65% on Oliver Lehmann’s 75 questions! Always look up your wrong answers and any that you guessed.
8. Try and get some sleep the night before the test. I was not well rested for the test but I was not in a sleep deficit from previous nights.
9. Eat a light meal at least two hours prior to the test.
My Test “Lessons Learned:
1. Take water and some type of snack into the center.
2. Although a “Mind Dump” is not allowed prior to taking the test, DO IT BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE ! Allocate the first 10-15 minutes to write down your formulas and Process Group and Knowledge Area Mapping (p. 61 PMBOK). I would not have passed if I had not performed this task. I used these as reference material on numerous occasions during the test and did not have to change my pace to think of a formula or a process location as answered the questions.
3. In the first 90 minutes I answered as many easy questions and used the “Highlight Function” extensively on hard questions that I marked for review. I checked an answer but did not perform any calculation on my first path.
4. I took two breaks during the test. These only were 5-6 minutes in length but, I used the restroom, ate some chocolate, and drank water each time.
5. I completed the entire test with approximately 40 minutes left. I then reviewed all “ Marked” questions and probably changed 10-15% of my previous answers. This left me with 15 minutes. I was tempted to hit the End Exam button but I used it to check random questions.
6. I used the Center’s ear muffs but probably should have taken soft ear plugs. The sound of individuals rapidly typing for their respective tests was prevalent.

My test was 90% situational with most questions appearing to have two good answers. Understand at least basic EV and Critical Path. It is essential to have a good working knowledge of the ITTO’s. Many questions evolve around them. Do not think about how you might respond in your daily work. Politics do not play a part in the PMI answers. Thank you.
Michael D. Elliott, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login