fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons Learnt and Tips

Lessons Learnt and Tips 7 years 3 months ago #9012

• Hazra Hadee
  • Hazra Hadee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I passed my exam! Phew! that was tough! But I am glad I did it well. I want to jot down things that helped me learning for the exam and some sites and tips that helped me. Every one has a different method for learning and retaining. I am just summarizing how I did and what helped.

47 Processes - I memorized this and practiced it every week to write the processes i 5 mins before the exam as a data dump. For me this was huge help. I could refer to situational questions or what should you do next type of questions. During the exam to remember all this, for me, would have been nerve wrecking. So writing it down before the exam helped and I used it several times. I created a method for learning this pretty fast. I got the idea from
I made some changes to the excel sheet. Try it, I got it in 2 tries. You will never forget it once you learn it this way. I am good at numbers and visualization. So anyone similar will find it easier.

ITTOs - I read a lot of information on ITTO's - "Pro memorization" messages and "Don't memorize" messages. Initially I did not memorize it and I found it hard to understand the processes and make it a whole. So I started memorizing just the Inputs and Outputs. Practicing each of them for 2 days helped me memorize it. I used a few tricks as well. Then while searching for more tips found this site: howtoprepareforpmpexam.blogspot.qa/2013/...orize-inputs-of.html

As I told you I am good with numbers and Raju described it so well, I got it in few minutes. Please have a look at it and you could get ideas on coming up with your own way for understanding the Inputs and Outputs

As I said once I knew all the Inputs and outputs it was easier to understand what tools and techniques were needed. Also helped to understand how they connected and why we were having Project Management Plan updates and Project document updates etc. The process flow helps once you know the ITTO's

PMI book - Please read this at least twice and recommend reading this 3 times. I promise you, you will pass the exam. The first time, it was difficult to understand. So I read the PMI book once. Then Read Rita's book once. As I completed Rita's book, I had more understanding. Then read PMI again and Rita again which solidified my understanding. Then did the exams at PM PrepCast.

These are the things I did for the exam. I hope it will help someone here. If you have any questions, please let me know.

All the best to all
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Last edit: by Mark Wuenscher, PMP. Reason: changed Prepcast to PM PrepCast

Lessons Learnt and Tips 7 years 3 months ago #9021

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hazra,

Congratulations on passing the PMP exam! Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and lessons learned. We really appreciate it! Thanks also for posting the links to the other resources you used in your studies. I also read the PMBOK 3 times and I think that was important for my success. Yes, it was brutal, but my strategy was that the test is based on the PMBOK guide so I had better understand the PMBOK content as much as possible.

Best of luck as a new PMP!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Lessons Learnt and Tips 7 years 3 months ago #9031

• Hazra Hadee
  • Hazra Hadee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you Mark :)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login