fbpx

Reply: Passed My PMP Exam - First Try - 9/30/2016

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed My PMP Exam - First Try - 9/30/2016

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 5 months ago #8476

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Thomas,

Congratulations on passing the exam and thank you for taking the time to post your experience and lessons learned to the forum. Wishing you much success.

Cheers,

Mark
7 years 5 months ago #8472

Thomas Lamm, PMP

's Avatar

I passed my PMP Exam on 9/30 (yesterday) and spent this morning updating my resume :)

I began the process in June, starting with the PM PrepCast. I work full time, so study time was scarce. The PrepCast made it possible to study while driving the commute, mowing the lawn etc. The PrepCast makes a very difficult and complicated topic both interesting and understandable. Toward the end of the main series, the PrepCast module recommended supplementing the PrepCast with a book. I wholeheartedly agree. I choose the Head First PMP book. Head First PMP is valulable resource as an in-depth overview, but not a replacement for the PrepCast. If were to do this over, I would read the book in tandem listening to the PrepCast. Working through the Head First, PrepCast and PMBOK in lock step would have made more sense.

The PrepCast emphasizes understanding the "hows and whys" over learning by rote. That is a very important approach and I found it invaluable, especially with the Estimated Value calculations. Make sure you understand why the formulas work,not just what they are!

I follwed up the book and PrepCast with the PrepCast Exam Simulator, taking three tests (75%, 83.5% and 80%). I was able to complete these exams in about three hours. My exam was scheduled for 4:30 PM, so I took the first on a weekend, but the other two in the evening after work. I am a morning person by nature, and wanted to be used to taking the exam in the evening. Can you guess that the third exam was after a difficult day in the office? I planned to take at least two other of the Simulated Exams, but could not fit it into each of evenings during the week before the real exam.

I took Exam Day off from work and studied light. I reviewed my perceived weak points with a few of the PrepCast modules. I was also struggling with the TCPI formula so I made sure that I understood why it works, not just what the formula is.

I was well rested for the exam, checked in and began, no concerns or surprises there. As I proceeded through the questions, I marked the questions I was unsure about, but answered them anyway. I did not want to count on coming back to them if I ran short on time. Watching the clock and my progress, I realized that this was wise, at about question 25 I realized that I was going to need most of the time. I ended with five minutes to spare! I did have time to review my marked questions, adjusted some answers and called it done.

When I saw that I passed, I had to read the page four times to make sure it really said that I passed.

Thank you Cornelius Fichtner, the PrepCast was invaluable. You did an excellent job of making the material informational and interesting. And thank you Justine for making the end of each segment something to look forward to!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login