fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on 1st attempt - July 6, 2016

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on 1st attempt - July 6, 2016

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 5 months ago #8469

Kevin Nason

Brenda

Congrats on your passing the Exam!
7 years 5 months ago #8466

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Brenda,

Congrats on passing the exam, especially 1 day before the expiration period! Thanks for posting your experience and lessons learned. Really good advice. I was like you and just plowed through the exam from beginning to end and didn't skip anything. I marked questions but I put an answer for each one as I went. I was afraid of not having enough time to go back and am really glad I used the strategy I did since I would not have had time to go back and check previous questions.

Celebrate!

Mark
7 years 5 months ago #8462

Brenda Little

I passed my PMP on July 6, 2016 (1 day before my 1 yr expiration) on the 1st try.

Due to my work load and current projects, it was hard for me to find time in the evenings to study much. My suggestion is to make time to study and get it over with instead of dragging it out for almost a year. Makes it harder to go back over the material again to refresh your memory. Stick to a plan and do not deviate from it.

1. Signed up for the PM PrepCast videos and Simulator in January 2016
2. I had already read PMP Head First and PMBok guide (finished in June 2015)
3. Downloaded Cornelius's video's in iTunes
4. Played each video by process group and took the tests at end of each Process group (Started Feb 16, completed Apr 16)
5. Took practice tests at the end of PMP Head First chapters by knowledge area
6. Took 200 question test at end of PMP Head First book
7. June 26, 2016 started taking PM PrepCast Simulator questions - started with 10 questions per knowledge area and process group, then took some 20 questions per knowledge area
8. July 4, 2016 took 1 200 question test in the PM PrepCast simulator - completed in under 3 hours...got 157 out of 200 questions correct with 78.5%. Got P in 4 out of 5 Process groups. Got BP in Planning (thought I was good in Planning). PMP certification test I had the same results and "PASSED"
9. July 4, 2016 took some more 10 to 20 questions in the simulator selecting knowledge areas
10. July 4th and 5th - went over in the evening each of the 47 processes (did not memorize ITTO's - just understood what each of the 47 processes did and how it could carry over into another process)
11. Day of exam - I got to the ctr 1 hour before my scheduled start time. Center was very busy. They finally sat me down in front of a computer 15/20 mins after my scheduled start time. (Did not panic - just used the restroom again and got a drink from the water fountain).
12. Start time - did my brain dump. I drew the table (process groups, knowledge area and all 47 processes) on page 61 of PMBOK. Wrote down key forumla's EV, SV, SPI, CPI, ETC, EAC, TCPI. I also wrote down ROM, Definitive and budget estimate ranges, 2 sigma, 3 sigma and 6 sigma percentages (completed before 15 min countdown that automatically starts with 1st question)
13. I took 3 hrs and 50 mins to complete my exam. Took my time. I did not skip any questions. I answered every question before moving to the next question. If I wasn't sure I answered correctly, I marked the question to go back at end of exam if I had time. (I know they tell you if you can't answer the question quickly to mark it and go back, I DID not take that approach due to some colleagues who did that and did not realize they had 30 minutes to answer 40+ questions. Note: Remember if you leave an answer unmarked it is automatically and incorrect answer, therefore I answered each question before moving on. There were less than 10 questions that took me more than 2 mins to answer before I moved to the next question.
14. I found the questions to be straightforward and not lengthy. Most questions had 5 or less sentences based on my experience. I looked for key words that would lead me to a process group/knowledge area and 9 times out of 10 the answer I was thinking of was there
15. I went back to re-read the 7 questions I marked (but had already selected an answer). The 1st 2 questions marked I did not come up with a different answer so I hit complete test
16. Did the Prometric survery that came up and boom up came the words "CONGRATULATIONS you Passed". I was shocked and asked the Prometric person who had just seated someone in the room for a test if I was reading my screen correctly. He told me yes, you passed.... he selected the next button until he got back to the main screen. Went to the room, they printed out my results (same results I got in the Simulator), and notarized it. Told me I would get my certification in t he next couple of weeks. My certification arrived in a week.
17. Honestly, if I had not done Cornelius's video's and simulator I don't think I would have been prepared enough to pass on the 1st try. It is well worth the investment

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login