fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP exam in First attempt..!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP exam in First attempt..!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 6 months ago #8408

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Gunaseelan,

Congratulations on passing the PMP exam! :woohoo: Thanks for sharing your study approach, lessons learned and exam experience. What a great story of perseverance.

Cheers,

Mark
7 years 6 months ago #8406

Gunaseelan Shanmugam

Passed PMP exam with 3P and 2MP (Initiating and Closing) on 12th August 2016. Thanks to all members of Prepcast team.

Initially I was skeptical about getting involved with PMP preparation as I feared that I will not be able to pass the PMP exam thanks to most of the people whom I met said it’s hard to crack. Then I came across the PM Prepcast and I was going through each and every newsletter from Cornelius. That really gave me the confidence to go ahead. In fact while clicking the payment button for Prepcast my hands were shivering thinking what if am not able to pass. Somehow I paid and that's where my journey started.
But now if I look back, I want to say neither the Exam nor the Preparation was not hard if you are committed and selected the right approach for YOU..!

Total Prep duration: 5 months
Materials Used :
1) Primarily used PM precast, PM Formulas, PM exam Simulator
2) Head First PMP book
3) PMBOK Guide – gone through it completely for 2 times
4) pmstudycircle.com
5) Very lately in my preparation used Oliver lehman free exams (oliverlehmann.com)
6) Answered more than 2000+ sample questions and I reviewed each and every one including right and wrong

Approach:
First being told by many PMPs, I prepared my own schedule and devised an approach to study. Then I pasted that schedule in all the rooms in my home. I think that really boosted me whenever I felt low.
Since I am working and having my little master in my home (my son 3 months old when I started my preparation) I didn't had the luxury to study freely. But I woke up early in the morning and go through one or two videos of PM Prepcast and after that I will read the Head first book and then in evening if I had time I will go through PMBOK. I tried not to force myself to follow strictly the same order of study and made my approach flexible. Mostly I was able to complete one chapter per week in PMBOK guide. After completing a chapter in all materials I will practice the exam sample questions from that particular chapter to check for any knowledge gaps.
For learning ITTO, I tried to understand the logic behind each and every item. I used Mind mapping technique to relate terms across different Knowledge area. But truth be told, I did memorize a some of the things which I didn’t understand (not much very few items)
I haven’t applied for the exam even when I almost finished my preparation which is clearly a mistake I did. After paying the exam fee my application was selected for audit. This process took me more than a month to complete.
After completing all the chapters, I started using the PM exam simulator - full 4 hour exams.
My exam results were 82.5%, 84%, 87.5%, 84%, 86%, 81.5%, 87.5%, 87%, 96.5% (ITTO Exam)

Oliver lehman Exam result: 68%. (Felt tough). Suggest all to take this exam must before completing the preparation.
I was really worried seeing my score since I took that exam just a day before my final PMP exam.

Exam day:
I arrived early to exam center. The admission process started as soon as I reached before my scheduled time. I felt little nervous. I got to say first 25 or 30 questions were really very tough. I almost lost my hope. Then I took a break, went through all the check in and check out process. I tried not to panic and felt relaxed after taking the break and I told to myself ‘this should be the last time I am here for the exam’.
Then remaining questions were not so tough. I managed to get the flow. Using the inbuilt calculator was really difficult. I could have asked for physical calculator though.
My brain dump sheet included the table in Page 61 (PMBOK), all the formulas and some quality guru’s name and their quotes.
I had very few ITTO questions and also may be 5 or 6 formula questions which were pretty straightforward.
Personally I found the real exam to be tough than PM exam simulator but Simulator taught me how to think and answer the situational question and I think that’s critical to success.
Until my timer reached zero seconds I was still having some answer for review. I quickly completed the survey and those seconds were one of the longest moments I felt in my life..! The rest is history :cheer:

All the best for future PMP aspirants..!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login