fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt !

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8193

• Sarmistha Biswas
  • Sarmistha Biswas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello All,

It's time to give back to this awesome community that made my journey to achieving PMP possible. Here are my few tips and tricks if it works for you :)

My Experience:
1) I started with PMBOK in June 2016. Got very bored after a week's time.
2) Best decision: Purchased PM PrepCast + Simulator bundle and listened to each podcast (Left the interviews part). Honestly, it couldn't have been any better and easier for me to understand the concepts.
3) I followed PMP simultaneously and that's when the book started to make sense to me :)
4) I did keep HeadFirst guide open but never felt the need to use that. PrepCast was all enough.
5) Once I was done reading PMBOK along with the PrepCast podcasts, I started giving simulator's mock exam.
6) Secured:
PMP Exam 1 77.5%
PMP Exam 2 81%
PMP Exam 3 86.5%
PMP Exam 4 84.5%
PMP Exam 5 84.5%
PMP Exam 6 89.5%
PMP Exam 7 84%
PMP Exam 8 88%
PMP Exam 9 (ITTO) 98%
YET I still felt nervous.
7) I always read each and every LL thread on this forum and felt confident with each passing day.
8) Just three days before the exam, I noticed a pattern that whosoever succeeded in PMP exam had followed Rita Mulchay's Guide and this made me super nervous as I had not given that book a look even.
9) Biggest Mistake: I tried to understand RITA's process chart (Honestly, didn't get a thing !) and attempted RM's FastRack Super PMP mock just two days before the exam and couldn't complete it. Honestly, my world turned upside down after seeing my performance and I was sure that I would fail in the exam.
10) I panicked so much just before the exam that I couldn't study anymore. I literally cried myself to sleep.
11) I gathered myself on the exam day and did a quick revision of ITTOs and process chart (PMBOK) and drove to the exam center. I had the afternoon slot but went an hour early and started.
12) Once the exam started: Right after 3-4 questions, I gained my confidence back and was sure that I would pass the exam (Didn't let "over-confidence" take me down!)
13) I got finished with 200 questions and reviewed 30 marked questions in three and a half hours and ended the exam. And right after the survey, I was greeted with a "CONGRATULATIONS" message on the screen. Happiness at its peak then :woohoo:

Tips:
1) ONLY stick to those study materials which you find easy to understand. Do not overburden yourself with unnecessary web topics, extra books (Except PMBOK) or any readily available sample exams. That will not help you AT ALL !!
2) You don't need any other simulator if you have PrepCast (Believe me !). The pattern of the actual exam questions was similar to that of the PrepCast Simulator. (The reason I gained my confidence back during the exam. )
2) Understand each process flow and ITTO. This very thing will help you the most in the exam.
3) Memorizing ITTOs won't help. I didn't get any direct ITTO question.
4) There's a connection between Stakeholder Management & Communications management (Input/Output or the use of CM in SM). Try to understand that. This will help you in your exam.
5) Read PMBOK 3-4 times. With each iteration, the book will provide you with more knowledge.
6) Understand how changes should be handled in each and every situation. I got a lot of situational questions on "change management".
5) I don't know what Rita's process chart really wants you to do but it didn't work for me. Knowing the PMBOK process chart should be enough.
6) Keep it simple and try to understand the processes as if you are actually performing them. How responsible should you be in following the processes accurately, how should you handle a stakeholder.. etc etc.

I hope all this helps you to reach your goals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP, Tonja Morgan
Last edit: by Mark Wuenscher, PMP. Reason: changed Prepcast to PM PrepCast

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8194

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Great work Sarmistha! Thanks for posting your experience and lessons learned to the forum. Best of luck to you.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarmistha Biswas

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8290

• Sarmistha Biswas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mark. This forum is of great help. I am really happy to be a part of it.

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8291

• Jeremy Raelin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Congrats Sarmistha on a job well done. Enjoy the accomplishment and start strategizing on your approach to earn PDU.

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8292

• Jeremy Raelin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Congrats Sarmistha on a job well done. Enjoy the accomplishment and start strategizing on your approach to earn PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarmistha Biswas

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8299

• Sarmistha Biswas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Jeremy for your advice. Yes, I am planning to do the same.

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8301

• Heidi Santos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
:) wow! you did great on your practice tests! I couldn't even get 80% :(
CONGRATULATIONS! My exam is on Monday 9/12 @ 8am!!! Very nervous and I don't feel very confident.

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8304

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Good luck to you Heidi. You can pass the exam! Be confident in your knowledge and understanding.
Cheers,
Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed My PMP Exam On Aug 29, 2016 - Lessons Learnt ! 7 years 7 months ago #8323

• Sarmistha Biswas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Don't worry Heidi !! Simulator scores do not justify your ability to pass or fail the exam. Just keep your confidence level up and be clear with the concepts. You will surely sail through. All the very best..
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login