fbpx

Reply: Passed at the first attempt in June 2016

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed at the first attempt in June 2016

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 9 months ago #7508

Peter Schleinzer

Since I used the Lessons Learned for my preparation, I would like to share my experience as well.
I passed my PMP exam June 2016 at the first attempt.

How I prepared for the exam
For my preparation I used different sources. In the first round, I had the PM Prepcast, the PMBOK Guide and the "Achive PMP Exam Success" book. First i always listened to a topic with the Prepcast, then I read the PMBOK and finaly the trainings book. That worked pretty good for me, especially the Prepcast, because that made it very easy to understand the content and concepts of the PMBOK Guide.
After that, I took some training tests and my results where at about 75-80 percent.
The second round was then the Head First book to get a different view. After that my scores where at about constantly 80%-87%.
I used safaribooksonline for some books, which was nice, because I had all the books (except Rita's) available to search in it.
Finally I read Ritas book (but I did not finish).
To test my knowledge, I mainly used the PM Prepcast simulator, but to be sure, I also used other sources
* Lehmann question (75 %)
* Head First only test (87%) - but be careful, some questions here refer to PMBOK Guide V4
* Exam Central (73% and 83%)
* Prepcast Simulator (80%,77%,80%,83%,85%)

In addition to that, I used some sources like that
* www.banyanpm.com/home/files/Memorizing%2...20Matrix-Summary.pdf
* edward-designer.com/web/pmp-calculation-formulae/
* www.slideshare.net/BryanBarrezueta/mapap...131124115700phpapp02

From the tooling, I used Trello and a kind of agile approach. Whenever I had a topic where I felt that I need more training, I added it to my "Backlog" like in the Agile Software development.

The exam day

I've taken the german language aid and since I did not find any help how this language aid works, I would like to explain it, maybe that might be helpful for others. All the questions (and the answers) where available in both languages. On the top of the screen I had the german version and on the bottom half the english version. The only difference was that ONLY the english version had the radio buttons to select the answer, the german version had the answers, but no radio button. Nevertheless I would highly recommend to read only the english version to answer the question. The reason why I added the language aid, was just in case the was a word I would not know. I've tried to read and understand the german version - forget it - I was not able to absorb the content of the question. Even words like "Riskregister" are translated and with that I was not able to understand the question. For me it worked OK with both versions available. There was only one small disadvantage, I had to scroll, because I only had the half of the screen available for each language.

Regarding the questions and the difficulty. Frankly, I was a bit surprised, because I felt the first few questions where pretty easy, but there is a german saying, "There is no difficult question if you know the answer". But overall, it was like the PM Prepcast Simulator, in all the aspects like content, length and difficulty.

The exam tool had 2 features, the highlighting, where I was able to highlight text in the question (I did not use that) and I was able to strike out answers. Both was stored with the question. The strike out was very helpful for the marked questions.

During the whole exam I felt pretty confident - thanks Cornelius ;-) - but I was a bit nervous when I had to hint the "End Exam" button.

Finally, I had 3 P and 2 MP and now I'm glad to call myself a PMP ;-)

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login