fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP, first try, 3P/2MP in Florida

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP, first try, 3P/2MP in Florida

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 2 months ago #6896

Nora Swanson

My study materials:
1. PMBOK
2. PM PrepCast videos
3. PM-Exam-Simulator
4. PMP Formula Study Guide
5. Made my own flashcards (about 200) on 4x6 index cards
6. Made my own reference spreadsheet of all 47 Processes and their ITTOs

Lessons learned:
1. I had established an aggressive study schedule/timeline that wasn't realistic for a working mom (60+ hours/week) with two kids (ages 7 and 1). I am very lucky to have an understanding husband who made sure they were fed, bathed and got their homework done while I studied. If you have a family, make sure to set expectations about how the PMP exam will affect them too.
2. I ran out of time and was only able to take three of the PM-Exam-Simulator tests. I wish I had started using the Exam Simulator at least two or three weeks prior to the exam (and not four days).
3. When I first heard this suggested I thought it was silly, but I TOTALLY recommend doing a practice-run of getting to the exam site in conditions similar to what you'll be doing. Although I was familiar with the location, I had never driven there from my house during rush hour traffic. To make matters worse, it was pouring rain that morning which caused a few accidents and even more traffic delays. I got there with 30 seconds to spare.
4. I loved the PM-Exam-Simulator, but hadn't accounted for how much time it would take. I spent about 7 hours every time I took a full exam because after I answered the questions, I went through all 200 again (even the ones I got right) to review my answers and look them up in the book.
5. I focused on the PM PrepCast videos that were specific to the Knowledge Areas (up to Chapter 13). I loved how Cornelius (I hope he's ok with me using his first name, after all those hours of listening to him I feel like I know him so well!) provided additional info that was not in the PMBOK as that helped prepare me for the test. I wish I had more time to listen to all the other videos as I'm sure they have great benefit; not just for passing the PMP exam but also being a better Project Manager overall).
6. The night prior to the exam I gave myself a 10 pm cut-off of as the last point where I studied anything (I had the 8 am exam slot). It was hard, but it was good (and a relief!) giving myself this cut-off to say, "Whatever else you read/review isn't going to help. What you know right now is what you know. Trust yourself."
7. I had a computer-based test and used the 15 minutes "tutorial" time for when I did my brain dump where I wrote down the 5-10-47 grid, various formulas, etc. This helped me relax and get in the mindset for the test.

The PM PrepCast materials saved me as I wasn't sure where to start, plus being able to meet the 35 contact hours at my own pace (while juggling family life) was clutch. I heartily recommend this product to anyone who wants to become a PMP!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login