fbpx

Reply: Passing the PMP Exam - November 5th 2015

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passing the PMP Exam - November 5th 2015

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 3 months ago #6836

Shoayb Vahora

's Avatar

Hi everyone,

I would like to keep this post as short as possible.

I passed the PMP Exam on the 5th of November 2015. Study time was around 12 weeks. I would like to stress the importance of not being overwhelmed initially by the content and the size of firstly the PMBOK guide and many of the textbooks which are widely available. It sure does seem daunting but it isnt really that bad.

i will begin by saying that DO NOT even think about attempting to read the PMBOK guide as this is a major trap that many fall into. I only read the initial chapter and that was enough to give me an understanding of the basic framework which took about 30 mins The PMBOK guide is a detailed standard and one should only refer to it as a reference and not as a sole source of study material or as reading material. I hardly went near the PMBOK as i dont think you can really learn anything worthwhile. You need an overall understanding of the framework and a book like Headfirst PMP will provide this once you work your way through the book.

I used Headfirst PMP as my main source and firmly believe that this is the only book you will need. It explains topics in an illustrated easy to read fun manner and once you have been through this book you will be well prepared. I also had Ritas book available but found it to be too technical and had too much information. I used this book as a reference only along with the PMBOK guide to sure up any ideas which i didnt fully understand. Avoid being presented with far too much info as this will only confuse you.

I went through Headfirst PMP and answered all the questions at the end of each topic as i worked my way through the book and then took the practice exams. I also went through the PM Prepcast. I had already attained all the knowledge through Headfirst PMP but the PM Prepcast filled any gaps and was reassurance of what i had learnt. I then completed all the exams on the PM Exam Simulator which i found to be excellent. I was scoring between 85% to 95% in all the practice exams on the simulator. The exam was much easier then i thought and having completed the simulator i was more then well prepared. if you can answer the question in the simulator you will be well prepared. I breezed through the exam and really enjoyed it. I completed the exam with half an hour to spare and was very confident i would pass..

I wont go into how you should go about taking the exam it as everyone is different and everyone has their own preferred exam taking habits. Im not too fussed and started at question 1 and worked my way through to the end. I answered all the questions and if i wasnt sure i marked it and came back to all the marked questions at the very end.

Tips
DO NOT READ PMBOK Guide
I Used Headfirst PMP as main book (Do questions at the end of each chapter as you go through the book)
Used Ritas bok and PMBOK guide as references only.
Went through PM PREPCAST
Did PM Exam Simulator
MAKE SURE you know table 3.1 and can identify all 47 processes in their appropriate Knowledge area and Group
Not many calculation questions / simple maths but more about understanding the simple formulas. Make sure you know them as this will clarify your understanding
Passed Exam

Happy to answer any questions

All the best!!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login