fbpx

Reply: Passed First Try

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed First Try

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 8 months ago #5798

Frances Carley

I passed my exam yesterday (Proficient-Planning, Executing, and M&C and Moderately Proficient in Initiating and Closing)! I'm just glad to finally be done studying.

This was my study plan:
I took 6 months to really take my time letting the subject matter sink in and to not get too stressed out. Then, in the last 2 1/2 weeks, I really amped up my hours and focused in on all of the details.

First 6 months (about 5 hours a week):
-watched all PMP Prepcast videos
-read Rita's book twice and took most of the quizzes
-read PMBOK 5 once and then used as reference as needed
-I started taking the PMP Exam Simulator quizzes and practice tests in the last 2.5 months. In total, I took 5 exams (average score of 74%) and many, many quizzes. I didn't take a full exam in the last 2 weeks, but my quizzes had improved to the 80% to 93% range.
-Around the 3-month mark, I spent a week learning the formulas.

Final 2.5 weeks (over 30 hours a week):
I got serious about filling in the gaps in my knowledge, studying at work, on lunch, after work, and for long marathon sessions on the weekend.
-I re-watched many of the Prepcast videos, and also watched the high-level overview videos that I had skipped the first time around. These were really helpful.
-made an excel sheet with all of the processes by group and the ITTOs in order to identify patterns in the ITTOs. I did not memorize ITTOs, rather looked for patterns, especially with the PMP Plan, OPAs, etc.
-went online to see the information presented in other ways. It helps me to see information presented in more than one way. I also needed to find more information on things like the Change Mgt System, Configuration Mgt System, other plans that are buried within plans (i.e. Staffing Mgt Plan), and the project documents.
-I made sure I knew the definitions of each T&T and project document. This made it easier to place them, and I didn't have to memorize them. The online research also helped with this part.
-began practicing the brain dump one week out and practiced everyday. I wish I had done this much sooner, however. It would have helped me to be able to visualize everything around 3 months in.
-took Lehmann's 75-question quiz (73.3%)

I don't think I could have done this without the Prepcast and exam simulator. Definitely not without the latter.

Thanks!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login