fbpx

Reply: Passed on 1st attempt with 5 Ps!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed on 1st attempt with 5 Ps!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 11 months ago #5424

Scott Gillard

Congrats! You're the first Library person I've seen. Libraries don't get the kudos they deserve! A smart way to save some money!
8 years 11 months ago #5415

Meng Ying Lin

I passed my PMP with 5 Ps! I can't do this without the help of PrepCast and Exam Simulator. Thank you, Cornelius!

Here is my journey and lessons learned:

I started to study last Sep but failed to keep it together and stopped in mid-Oct. I restarted my study in Feb and passed the exam on the 1st week of Apr - in 10 weeks.

Reason of failure for the 1st study:
  • A too ambitious study plan.
  • I planned my study far out with 2-4 hrs study/day. But after a few weeks, it seems that I was always behind and it was too much for me so I gave up.

Resolution:
  • Plan only a week's study. 6 days a week. If you are behind a little bit, you can catch up on the break day. In my case, I actually study harder, so that I can have my break day really study FREE.

My study materials:
  • PM Prepcast - listen to the main course twice. The additional info once. I used VLC media player with 1.5 speed play to save some time.
  • PMBOK - read thoroughly after finishing the 1st round Prepcast once. scan once more.
  • PMP Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy - read once after I finished the PMBOK. Mainly use for its questions after every chapter.
  • PM Exam Simulator - I started the 1st exam after I finished my thorough PMBOK reading. I finished all 9 exams before my real exam.

L/L:
  • I hand wrote notes while watching the Prepcast for the terms or concept that I wasn't familiar in my own reorganized phrase. It helped me remember them better.
  • PMBOK appendix A1 and Glossary are helpful. Don't skip them.
  • PM Exam Simulator is so helpful. My first try on the simulator took much longer than I expected. But after practices, I got to finish my real exam in 3hrs (in a slower pace than I usually conducted with simulator) and reviewed the questions for the rest of my time.
  • I adjusted my study focus accordingly to my simulator results to enhance the areas that I wasn't good enough.
  • I feel Rita's book confused me a little. That's why I didn't search more FREE questions out there. I felt that if the information wasn't constructed in the right way, more info may only confuse you.
  • Eletronic PMBOK is really convenient when you need to look up certain terms and review specific information
  • I actually borrowed both the PMBOK and Exam Prep from the city library. Really no need to buy the books for yourself unless you need to use a highlighter when you study.
  • Don't worry about the knowledge outside of the PBMOK too much. I only browsed some current project mgmt news once a week and that was enough for me.

My Exam:
  • I actually had quite a few questions for the initiating process group. Much more than I expected.
  • Real exam questions averagely seemed a little bit shorter than the simulator ones.
  • I used the calculator on the computer quite frequently.
  • Some of the questions just didn't seem right. I just treated them as the pretest questions and don't let them bother me.
  • I was hungry by the end of the exam. In my test center, I can't access the locker during the breaks so I didn't get to eat my snack.

Well, that's it. Hope you found these information helpful and good luck to everyone studying hard! You can do it!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login