fbpx

Reply: Passed my PMP exam yesterday, March 10th 2015

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed my PMP exam yesterday, March 10th 2015

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 1 month ago #5266

Oscar

's Avatar

I passed yesterday, Feb 10th 2015, the PMP exam, on my first try.
I would like to share my experience, in case it is of use to anyone.

PREPARATION and PROFILE

• I spent 125 hours in total to get ready to pass. About 5.5h on average, every working day, along 3 weeks.
• I didn´t do any course to get ready for the exam.
• I only studied the RITA guide, answering about half of the book’s exercises, plus all chapter tests, and re-read only once about half of the chapters. I also read the PMBok in full.
• On top of RITA’s book tests, I did 3 other full tests from “pmstudy.com” (1 free, 2 paid), since I read it is one of the recommendable places.
• Once I got a stable success rate of about 135 correct answers (out of the 200), 75-78% success rate in my case, I decided to go for the exam, even though this website says 150 correct answers is the level for attending the exam “well prepared”.
• I feel my background as Telecommunications Engineer helped me a lot (back in the old times, when I was young and at University, we were used to long exams, where many questions and topics had not been taught during lectures, but you had to find out answers, based on your knowledge). This is similar to some (only some) questions at the exam.
• I have about 5-6 aggregated years of experience, along the last 12, in managing international but projects (100.000-200.000 Eur per year).

THE EXAM
• I felt prepared, before going to take the exam. I had a good understanding of all PM areas and processes, as well as experience and roughly good marks on tests.
• My perception is that the questions, in general, were quite easier than the full tests I took (both those from RITA’s book, and those of pmstudy.com). There were obviously some difficult ones, in line with those at preparation tests, but there were also A LOT of simple ones.
• My perception is that there were very few questions requiring mathematical calculations (10-20), compared to previous tests I had taken. Also, I asked, and was provided by the centre, with a physical calculator (the other test takers where using the PC’s calculator), and that made things easier, so consider asking for it.
• However, my nerves got on the way (the short time for a non-English native, self-created pressure to pass, etc), and had a difficult time, taking more time than usual to concentrate and think clearly. Hence, I took 3.5h to answer all questions, and then only had 30 min left, for review. So don´t underestimate the stress of being there taking the exam.
• It is to be pointed out that if you are not a native English speaker, such as myself, it takes more time to re-read difficult questions.
• I only took a short toilet break in between.
• It was key for me to allow myself some time, even before clicking to start the 15 min introductory presentation, to both write down on the paper all formulas and question-answering strategies, and to also get a bit more calmed and confident.
Good luck!
Oscar

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login