fbpx

Reply: Denrael Snossel - Extensive review

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Denrael Snossel - Extensive review

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 2 months ago #1771

Stephen Salaka

's Avatar

:silly: Passed the Exam December 5, 2010 :silly:

Personal Background:
15+ years IT industry experience in managerial roles and project/portfolio management.

Materials Used:
Rita's Book
Head First
PMP Prepcast
PMBOK
5-6 full length exams (including the Rita and HF tests)

Study time:
45 days (2-3 hours per day plus the PMP Prep cast daily during commutes 1 hour each way).

Expectations:
Test was going to be extremely hard. ITTO's and all formulas needed to be known backwards and forwards. EVM was new. Needed to make up Mnemonics for everything on the exam.

Before the exam:
I kept thinking I was scheduled to take the exam on the 12th of December. However, the astute wife checked this out and realized this was on the 18th of December. Not wanting to keep this hanging over my head any longer, scheduled for the next weekend available (December 5th). What was strange was that the Prometric centers available for this test were different than normal Prometric centers. For those of you who are used to the Prometric system, be sure to check out the available test sites during the registration process (my normal center was not available and I had to go across the city to test). Took the advice of everyone and called the test center ahead of time confirming the registration and the center location.

Day of the test:
Showed up at the testing center 45 minutes early. Because it was a computer based test, the center allowed me to start the test early. Everything I brought with me went into the locker. Only allowed to bring in my photo ID. No food or drink allowed in the center. Sat down and created my dump sheet during the tutorial. Test was much easier than I had expected, finished the original 200 questions in 30 minutes. Took a 10 minute stretch the legs and get my head cleared up and go to the restroom. Sat back down and went through all the questions again for another 30 minutes. Decided that if I was going to pass with the amount of effort I put into the studying I was going to pass with the answers already provided. Clicked submit. Had a heart attach. Found out I passed with all marks "Proficient".

Afterthoughts:
1) I think I studied way to much. With the combination of my background and experience, I spent way too much time getting ready for this test. This might not apply to many people, but with the 4500 hours experience required to register for this exam, most people should be able to get through the material relatively easily.
2) Having a brain dump sheet was extremely handy. I kept updating mine as I went through the study materials, and by the time the test came around everything was drilled in there too well.
3) Maybe 5 formula based questions. Very straightforward - not something to be too concerned about. Get them on your dump sheet, understand what they mean, but don't worry too much about them.
4) Everything was much more situational than expected. Coming from the Rita book, there seemed to be a strong emphasis on the ITTO as well as "what happens next". The test was much more situational in nature and the ability to deduce the answers from the readings was apparent. Know your process names though.
5) A few longer than life questions on there. Be sure to read the end of the question, pick over the answers briefly, and if nothing jumps out, go back through and read the whole question.
6) Pick ONE or TWO study materials max and keep with it (if you're using the prepcast pick only ONE other). Too much material is just going to confuse most people, and by the time you've gone through one set of material, the learnings from the new material (and time spent) has a negative return on investment. If you have any outstanding questions or issues, use the internet.
7) Mnemonics are your friend:
Is Tom's CQ Helping CRaP - Project Integration, Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Human Resources, Communication, Risk, Procurement
IP E=MC2 - Initiating, Planning, Execution, Monitor and Controlling, Closing

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login