fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the PMP Exam on June 2, 2014 - Thank you !

Passed the PMP Exam on June 2, 2014 - Thank you ! 9 years 10 months ago #4320

• Laetitia Bibollet-ruche
  • Laetitia Bibollet-ruche's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I passed the PMP Exam on my 1st try on June 2, 2014 after 11 weeks of preparation. This is the method I used and my lessons learned. I had structured my training plan in 4 phases:

Phase 1 (about 1 week): “Market analysis”
Since I was on a tight budget, I was looking for an affordable online training. I’ve tried several of them for free, and I found that they were all boring (tone, support), except the PM PrepCast. So I signed up without any further hesitation!
Phase 2 (about 4 weeks): “Getting to grips with the PMBOK concepts”
I watched the PM PrepCast actively. Since I had the opportunity to be on my computer, I used the multi-window to have each related PMBOK chapter and the PM PrepCast lesson at the same time on my screen. This method “brought the PMBOK concepts to life”.
During this phase, I took some notes in a little notebook that I kept on completing during all the other phases. As an output, I had also the list of my “weak points” I had to study further.
At the end of this phase, I was confident that I could pass the exam with an achievable level of work, so I finalized my inscription to the PMP exam and fixed my exam date.
Phase 3 (about 3 weeks): “Advanced analysis of the concepts”
I read my hard copy of a preparation book, and made a lot of online research on my “weak points”.
During this phase I also completed my personal notebook and came again on some of the PM PrepCast lessons and parts of the PMBOK.
Phase 4 (about 3 weeks): “Questions and exam preparation”
I started the formal questions phase, with more than 2600 questions including 4 full 4 hours mock-up tests (to get used to the time factor). I kept track of my results, what helped me to get more and more confident that I was ready to pass.
The exam
The day before the exam, I reviewed my notes and my brain dump sheet during 2 hours, and enjoyed a very relaxing day. The day of the exam, I arrived 30 mn earlier and could start immediately. I felt confident. The level of difficulty was as expected, but I marked more than 30 questions for review. It took me more than 3 hours to finish (whereas during my mock-up tests, I used to review only a few questions and used to finish in less than 3 hours). In addition, I changed a lot of answers during my review phase (something I had hardly done during mock-up exams). I’m still trying to figure out the root cause analysis of this situation: where the questions finally trickier than my mock-up exams? Or was it a kind of situational stress effect? I think it is a combination of both factors…
But finally I clicked on the end button, and was very happy with my result: proficient in 4 domains and moderately proficient in 1 domain.

My lessons learned
Phase 3: This phase presents many risks; the main one is that you can get lost in many resources on the WEB, sometimes not always consistent. My lesson learned is that I should have better structured this phase, with a list of topics to cover, one or two online resources to look at, and that’s all.
Phase 4: My lesson learned is that, just like in phase 3, I got lost in many online free questions. Some of them made me sometimes confused. Again, I think that I should have kept one or two resources and sticked to them. The more is not always the best, as for scope creep! The other lesson learned is also that I should have started this phase before, overlapping with phase 3. Indeed, answering question really helps you to better understand a concept and then progress in your knowledge.

Finally, The PMPrepCast was the cornerstone of my project. I would definitely recommend it. A big thank you to the PM PrepCast team!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swati Kumar

Passed the PMP Exam on June 2, 2014 - Thank you ! 9 years 10 months ago #4328

• Robert Decraene
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Big congratulations are in order, Laetitia!! Thank you for posting your Lessons Learned :-)
All The Best!

Robert D. Decraene, MPM, PMP
Community Moderator
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login