fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP today

Passed PMP today 9 years 10 months ago #4267

• Michael Alstrom
  • Michael Alstrom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed the PMP exam today! I started on March 22. In all, I spent 139.5 hours watching PM PrepCast videos, reading the PMBOK guide, reading Achieve PMP Exam Success, and studying. Here are some things that worked for me:

1. If there was advice in any of the PrepCast videos, I tried to follow it. I won't go into detail here, but I didn't get any bad advice and I believe this greatly helped in my overall success. Even when my application was selected for audit, the advice I had received helped me to receive a fast approval response from PMI.

2. Early on, I memorized table 3-1 in the PMBOK guide. There were two things that helped me do this. First, I memorized the chapter/section numbers along with the process names. This helped to keep things sequential and helped me not miss any processes. Second, I created a blank table and wrote the processes into the blanks in the appropriate columns. Writing processes by hand helped me memorize them. When I would recite the processes, I could actually visualize the table, which really helped me identify to which process group and knowledge area each process belongs.

3. I created a spreadsheet of processes and ITTOs. This wasn't for the purpose of memorizing, but I did use it to look for relationships between processes. For example, I paid attention to how changes and information flow through the processes, or what processes resulted in organizational process asset updates. I created pivot table to see where there were a large number of same ITTOs or where they were unique. I read through the ITTO list a few times. Overall this approach helped me score an 88% on sample exam 9.

4. I took 7 of the 9 available practice exams on the PM Exam Simulator. I never took an exam more than once, but I reviewed the wrong answers on each exam multiple times over the last few weeks. In the beginning, three of four results were 77%, but overall I trended upwards for % correct.

5. I tracked all my time and content using a time tracking website and spreadsheets. Doing so helped me review my progress and vary my approach over time.

I hope this information helps out others as they pursue their PMP certification. Thanks again to everyone at PM PrepCast.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login