fbpx

Reply: I passed the PMP exam on the first try!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : I passed the PMP exam on the first try!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 7 months ago #3689

Carlos Omar Suarez

I passed my exam on July 18, just a few days before the PMBOK v4 to v5 switch.

Here's my story:

I've managing IT projects for aprox 10 years. On 2011 I attended a quick PMP Prep Course, but for multiple causes it was on July 2013 that I decided to be certified by July. Although I was aware of the few changes between PMBOK v4/5 I found more convenient to attach to v4, as I had taken the prep course, bought the PMBOK and Rita Mulcachy's all aligned to v4.

The following resources were very helpful for me:

- The PMBOK. I see this as the main resource. At first, I read the Appendix F and the glossary to put me in context. I then read it 3 times from cover to cover.

The Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep. I read it twice, and found it extremely useful to really understand the exam. I didn't like the Rita Process Chart as it confused me a little, so I decided to stick to PMBOK page 43 for the understanding of the process group and knowledge area mapping. Because I ran out of time, I didn't do all the tests after each chapter, but read all the "correct answers" for sure.

Cornelious' PM Prep Cast. It helped me to learn while my everyday commuting from work to home. I did my best to listen a chapter per day. I think this is a marvelous way to learn and really enjoyed it.

PMP Certification: How to get PMP in 6 Steps ( www.squidoo.com/PMP-Certification-Exam ). It helped me to get a quick overview of what needed to be done to be certified.

PMP and CAPM Certification Exam Prep blog ( www.deepfriedbrainproject.com/ ). A lot of useful posts and comments with descriptions and tips. I really liked the BrainBoK they built, to become very familiar with all processes and their inputs and outputs.

I studied for 4 weeks, the first 2 for about 2hrs/day, and the for the last 2 I took 10 days out of work to study full time at a local library.

I was not able to do any exam simulations, and I think that was the main reason why I wasn't able to finish 100% of the exam. I think it is very important to get used to the exam timing and stress conditions as well as to be familiar with exam concepts.

The day before the exam, sleep and eat well. Try to be relaxed. It helped me a lot to visit the test center days before and familiarize with it.

I hope you can find this story useful for your exam preparation, and wish you success!

Best regards,

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login