fbpx

Reply: From Carolyn Heide, PMP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : From Carolyn Heide, PMP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 10 months ago #30

Cornelius Fichtner

Carolyn Heide, PMP sent us the following lessons learned:

Date: Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:38 PM

One possible way I can give feedback is based on my results. I was proficient in all but two areas – closing and ethics. These are, of course, the smallest area in number of questions (not giving anything away here, the number of questions in each area is published data), so it takes fewer wrong questions to get a less than proficient result.

The whole code of ethics situation is difficult, as the questions are very, very subjective. I struggled with them in sample tests also. I had trouble putting aside the way I think about things and looking at the world the way the PMI thinks about things. I don’t have any concrete suggestions where you can do better there, but clearly I needed more help there.

I think that it is good advice to tell people that they need to use their own judgment about whether or not memorize the ITTOs. I did not memorize them. I think that emphasis on how the outputs on one process become inputs to others is a very good way to teach it, because it gives one a logical way to remember them, rather than memorizing them. I also very much liked the way the Cornelius grouped the input and outputs logically when presenting them rather than in the haphazard way they are listed in the Guide.

The brain dump concept is fantastic. I cannot thank you enough for that idea, and why, oh why, didn’t someone teach me that when I was in school centuries ago. I wrote out the matrix of processes by process groups and knowledge area, and my formula sheet every day for about a month, and was able to dump them instantly when I got into the exam room. Even if I did not refer to them constantly, just doing that gave me a huge confidence boost. Put a lot of emphasis on that technique in the course, it’s a great one.

I would have liked more examples to liven up the podcast a bit. I enjoyed Cornelius’ story about getting estimates for gutters on his house. More of those, if possible.

The “what we see in sample questions on line and in books” was very good, and should be at the end of every segment (if it is not already).

That’s all that comes to mind right now, and it’s time for lunch! If I think of others, I’ll let you know.

Thanks,
Carolyn Heide, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login