fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP in first attempt on Aug 20

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP in first attempt on Aug 20

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
12 years 6 months ago #2485

Kuldeep Sharma

's Avatar

I passed PMP exam on Aug 20.

It took me 7 weeks to prepare for PMP and pass the exam. I started to prepare for exam in the last week on July. The first thing I did was Ordered Cornelius Fichtner PMP course for 36 contact hours requirement. Next thing was to fill the PMP application and submit the same.

Starting July 1 till Aug 19, I spent like 1 - 2 hours preparing for PMP. First thing I did was to go through the PMBOK chapter by chapter. Don't worry if you are not able to understand all the concepts at this point but just go through the book. I completed the first pass in 2 weeks. It will give you a good understanding abaout the scope of the exams, and build a good base for further learning.

I started with Rita's book next, but found it too hard to read or understand (although I heared a lot about this book but this is my personal opinion). I read about 4 chapters from this book and then left this book.

Next I moved to Andy Crowe PMP prep book. I found this book very simple and too the point. Very well written and you don't loose interest also. I completed this book in approx. 3 weeks with all the questions at the end of the chapters. At this point I was scoring approx. 80% for chapter wise questions.

After completing this book, I used the online subscription that comes with Andy's book to take online exams. I never did a 200 question exama in one sitting. Rather I did multiple rounds of 50 - 100 questions. At this time I scored approx 80% in every exam.

I did another round of PMBOK reading and completed the same in a week along with practicing some more questions. Last week 3 days I spent attempting more questions from Lehman etc., and found that I am scoring betweeen 75 - 80% in most of the exams. I felt that I am not well prepared at this time and three days before the exam even thought to reschedule the exam but as their were no dates available in Aug for exam so dropped the idea.
remme
Last 2 day I spent going through all the formula's, ITTO's, PMBOK Glossary etc.

On the day of the exam I reached Prometric Center a bit early and examiner allowed me to sit for the exam approx. 30 mins before schedule. During the exam I took break every 45 mins - 1 hr, 4 breaks in total of apprx 5 mins. On an average I completed 1 question per minute, so took me 3 hours 15 mins to complete the first pass. I marked 75 questions for review and went through these 75 questions in another 30 mins changing answers for approx. 7 - 10 questions. I submitted the exam 15 mins before and after completing a short survey got the result as Congratulations you passed.

My learnings:

1. Don't spend more than 6 - 10 weeks on preparation. If you spend too much time you loose that passion for preparation.
2. I refered PMBOK and Andy Crowe prep book only and found the exam simple. Approx. 85 -90% questions were straight from PMBOK.
3. Read PMBOK atleast twice. Its very important. 90% of the exam was from PMBOK.
4. I found mathematical questions simple and straight. I recommend not to go with all those complex mathematical questions available on internet. Rather spend more time on PMBOK and remembering the formula to apply.
5. Don't worry if you are not scoring more than 80% like everyone recommend. I think that even if you are scoring more than 75%, you can pass the exam easily.
6. Remain cool and calm during the exam. Take your time while going through the question on first pass. Read questions and options provided carefully.
7. On scratch paper for brain dump, I wrote complete Page 43 from PMBOK, all formula's, Sigma values. It took me around 10 mins. While attempting the exam, I came to refer them back specially formulas for EV and Critical path related.
8. I recommend not to memorize ITTO's. Exam has questions about ITTO's but they usually don't ask about Organization Process Assets or Environmental factors. The questions on ITTO are based on specific unique tool/ technique or I/O for the process. I found the approach from Andy Crowe's prep book very useful, where every chapter talks about the specific I/O and tool for the process and the generic I/O's are covered as a whole separately.

Best of Luck to all future aspirants.

Drop me a mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in case you need any help.

Thanks
Kuldeep

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login