fbpx

Reply: If failing to plan, then you are planning to fail

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : If failing to plan, then you are planning to fail

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
12 years 7 months ago #2456

Steffen Thieringer

Congrats to you ! I passed today 8/28/11. And I totally agree on item 7)
12 years 7 months ago #2454

Mariraju Dyapur

I passed my PMP on 22nd of August in my first attempt. It certainly has been an incredible journey to earn this credential. My application was selected for auditing and that took some time to get all the paper work done. I have noticed many testimonials and everyone has their own techniques of remembering things. And I do agree that it is different for each individual. For some reading makes more sense and for some writing and for some visual or even drawing helps. If something has worked for me, that doesn't prove or guarantee the success for others too. It all depends on reading style and also about remembering things.

For me It has been more than 4 months since I started preparing for PMP seriously. I don't know about others, how they managed to get 4 hours a day or even 3 hours a day to study while you have a serious job of managing project(s).
I used to makeup at least 1.5 -2 hrs per day and 4-6 hrs during weekend for the studies.

I have masters in Information Systems and I have applied system dynamics for project management. I used mind maps, flowcharts and lists to memorize formulas and ITTOs. For all these PMPREPCAST helped me a lot.
PMPREPCAST helped me understand concepts very well and Cornelius has give good examples and as promised he kept all the episodes very interesting. Even before I started reading any book, I went through the videos first and then went through the books. Following steps were my approach to my studies. Please treat this as a guide but make your own way through to make it more interesting.

1) Went through PODCAST videos and wrote down points and also made some mind maps to help me link between the knowledge areas
2) Read PMBOK once and also added some more details to my notes, but examples of my own from my experience
3) Read Rita Mulcahy, which gave me some more insight into advanced approach
4) Kept referring to my lists and mind maps at least twice in a week, that way you will know if you miss anything
5) During any breaks I used to jolt down some points or ITTOs and tried to compare them after i come back home
6) I repeated PREPCAST videos, but this time it was more clear and then glanced through PMBOK and Rit's PMP exam Prep before the exam
7) Went through many sample questions for at least 3 weeks before the exam. Please don't forget about this and make sure to justify your answers by comparing with any of the books if you get them wrong.

Besides all this, I didn't attend any boot camp for the training.

It is not about memorizing, it's about doing the things right. I must agree that my reading speed is slow but I made sure that whatever I was reading had a good understanding with my own real life examples. I never had tough time substituting my own examples but PMPREPCAST helped me a lot in understanding them in PMBOK way.

Please follow your instincts, follow your habits of studying and that should be the way to your success. Best of luck for all PMP aspirants.
Attachments:

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login