fbpx

Reply: Lessons Learned 20101008 Passed PMP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Lessons Learned 20101008 Passed PMP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 5 months ago #1667

Mary Tilbury

's Avatar

Thank you Samman, I do wish you all the best as you study for your next test. After time to be a bit more clear headed in my Lessons Learned I want to state just a few items I hope will be of help.
1. You have to know your own learning style. Some recommend using only her or his material; others only one or two sources other than the PMBOK. For me, as stated in the original post, it helped to have the PMBOK, the PM PrepCast (both auditory and visual) and then Andy Crowe (who kept it simple and straight forward) and Rita M. Then I used additional resources as I could find them to supplement. Since Cornelius mentioned that the PMP test uses data from several sources, I thought this would enable me to have more exposure once I had the basics.
2. Figure out how to tie the information together - it's a lot of data, process groups, knowledge areas, processes, ITTOs. What is the input for this Process? Is this a tool for that process? Cornelius, Andy and Rita are right in that you have to understand how these fit together, how the processes flow and work with one another and so what would logically be related to the process.
3. In relation to the above, I took the key items like the Project Plan, and others like this and made a mental note of where it was present (what processes)
4. Take a lot of tests. I took at least 5 or 6 200 question tests. In the beginning, just taking a 50 question test with the way questions were written in the practice tests made my head hurt and it seemed to take forever to get through the test. After taking the 200 question tests a few times, it's like training for a marathon, you pace yourself and it gets easier. I used the free ones, the one week trial online with Andy Crowe's book and SimpliLearn.
5. Weak areas: The tests are good too as you will know where you have weak areas. Make sure you really go over the weak areas - somehow the PMP test knows just what questions to ask you; almost as if the test were tailor made to test the area that is most difficult for you.
6. Don't panic during the test even if none of the questions make sense in the beginning (test brain). As recommended by all, mark them and keep going. Watch your time, pace yourself, and go back once you complete all of the other questions. The second time through, it will seem the fog has been lifted from your brain and you can once again understand the language.
Best of luck!
13 years 5 months ago #1666

Samman

's Avatar

Cong's Mary!

I know exactly how you felt, 'cause I hade my 2nd triel test on the spicial 10.10.10 date! two days after your memorial PASS!

I watched the (regretfully) message AGAIN! and gut disappointied again! though I was very confidint I am passing this time, but ... I will do it the 3rd time soooooon.

I will be watching that "moment of truth" and I will make ir this time.

Cong's for you.

Wish me luck!
13 years 5 months ago #1653

Mary Tilbury

After many hours of intense study on top of the hours of normal work, the first lesson I've learned is how valuable the time I have with God, my family and friends is. The intensity required to study is great. I am humbly greatful to all of them.
What helped me on the journey was the Prepcast - listening and watching the podcasts by Cornelius. I seem to do best with auditory learning but benefit if I can have the auditory / visual combo. I also used the PMBOK (twice through and then a mind map of how it all went together (these are all the processes that use the PM Plan, these use change requests and so on), Andy Crowe and Rita M's books as well as Andy Crowe's one week free access to the site, the ReadySetPass Tests, Simplilearn tests and a myriad of free tests. I found the prepcast and Andy Crowe helped the most in putting the information in a straight forward method.

I practiced putting down the formulas (Had the PM Formula sheet and a combination of explanations from it, Rita and Andy), and my 5 PGs, 9 KAs and 42 Processes along with other pertinent information like baselines and other info I wanted to remember.

Today when I began the test I had my scripture verses, breathing and lessons learned to remind me that is would be tough but keep going.

It was extremely hard to begin with. I read the first several questions and thought - I'm not sure I know any of this. I marked the answers and kept going as recommended by the experts. I watched my time and had time to go bach through the test completely. This helped as I was more focused and found a few answers not marked I needed to change.
I finally ended the test about 25 minutes early though as I was changing too many. Then the survey appeared. I calmly took the survey and gave a good review.
Finally the moment of truth, I closed my eyes and... Congratulations you passed. I almost cried - ah the joy and relief. My passion for Project Management for 10 years has finally reached the goal that began in April of 2000. It has been a long journey. I am thankful to all of the authors, teachers and posters who provided insight.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login