fbpx

Reply: How i earned my PMP?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : How i earned my PMP?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 7 months ago #1604

rams

's Avatar

Hi There,

I took my PMP on August 11th,2010 and earned proficient in two and moderately proficient grades in four knowledge areas.
I wanted to share my experiences that might help any of the future students sitting for PMP.

Study Materials:
1.PMP Exam prep by Rita Mulcachy
2.PMBOK
3.Cornelius Fitchner Formula guide & Prepcast.
4.Online sample test questions from various websites (listed in prepcast resources page)

I completed Prepcast initially while i was filling up my application and that laid a great foundation for my preparation with right approach ,terminology and in many other aspects. The prepcast actually helped me relate things as i started studying the books which made my preparation more faster and knowledgble.

While studying the books,i read one chapter from Rita's PMP Exam Prep book followed by the PMBOK guide followed by the questions at the end of Rita's book again. This helped me understand, digest and test my understanding and knowledge levels on each chapter.

I prepared for 30 days and after one reading in the above mentioned format ,i went on to perform sample tests for a couple of days and i constantly scored more than 75% in every sample test. 3-5 days before the exam i went through the definitions given in the back of PMBOK and performed a quick review on RITA's Exam Prep (imp notes that i highlighted during my first study). And then i went through all the figures of PMBOK and inputs,outputs and T&T of PMBOK once (there are quite a few questions from i/p,o/p and T&T) this is an area which you cannot afford to leave ,i know it was really tough to memorize all of them ,Ritas book helped me understand remember rather than memorizing .I also searched in google where i came up with some websites that provided some quick tips to help remember these things.

Finally the day of exam came, and it was a four hour test .I took 3hr50 min to complete my test. i took two breaks one after 70 questions and second after 170 questions . In the first round i marked 70 questions out of 200 for review ,and in the second round i brought it down to 25 questions and completed the rest of 25 in the third round.
It took me 3 hours for the first round and 50 minutes for the marked 70 questions . I marked every question which i was even 1% doubtful.

For me mosthard part of earning the PMP was the exam itself, sitting for four hours and to give your 100% for the four hours was very tough. I advice to practice this before making your sample tests a real mock exams with time limits and same seriousness.

With this said i think if you give a 100% for around 45 days, you will have your PMP on the 46th day .
I wish all the future PMP seekers a good luck .

"Knowledge is weightless,A treasure you can carry easily"

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login