fbpx

Reply: Passed on 4/17/2010, first attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed on 4/17/2010, first attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 11 months ago #1429

Cornelius Fichtner

Here are some ideas of how to earn PDUs:

> Listen to The PM Podcast where I talk about "PMI's PDU Secrets": www.pm-podcast.com/pdusecrets - that covers everything you need to know.

> Earn 15 Free PDUs from The PM Podcast: www.pm-podcast.com/pdu

> Earn PDUs with your iPod with my new PDU Podcast at www.pducast.com
13 years 11 months ago #1427

Ronald Dawes

I had not thought about that yet and am open to suggestions. I'm still letting my brain recover.:laugh:
13 years 11 months ago #1422

Cornelius Fichtner

Ronald,

Congrats on passing the exam!

Where do you plan on getting your PDUs?
13 years 11 months ago #1413

Ronald Dawes

I've been a PM for many many years and finally decided to go ahead and get the PMP. I used the PM Prepcast, read the PMBOK slowly and carefully once and took a bunch of practice exams. I did not study any other books but I did buy Cornealius' PMP Formula Guide which is very useful. Much of the meat of the PMBOK was standard practice for my experience so it was more learning the PMI favored terminology, their list of process inputs, outputs, tools, techniques, and learning to recognize what they were looking for on the exam. I probably spent 50 hours over 3 weeks prepping for the exam.

I was disappointed in some of the sample exams found around the web in that I considered some of the questions to be sloppy and inaccurate. I found several that when I looked up the answer to a missed question, I found that I was right. While I suppose that you could consider it a good learning exercise, I found it annoying and wondered how many were marked correct that were actually incorrect. When there is a question about the "triple constraint", you know they have not really paid attention to detail on the test material.

One source that did seem pretty good for sample tests was the one from pmperfect.com. There were a few questions that I considered ambiguous but all in all it was very good.

Be prepared that there a LOT of questions on the exam where you can be left pondering 2 answers that both seem reasonable and could be right. Read the question carefully to get context and try and select the one that is the BEST. There were even a few questions where I did not see any answer that I considered to be a good one and had to pick the best from a list where I thought all the choices were poor. Such is the mind of the test creators. However, there were no questions that I would consider "trick" questions.

Answer EVERY question on the first pass thru even if you are not sure of your answer and use the Mark feature if you are unsure of your answer. Finish the rest of the questions and then come back to the marked questions. But be very careful of changing your first answer, many times the first response is the correct one and if you over think it you may change it to an incorrect answer. I marked 55 and I only changed about 4 when I reviewed them.

Good luck.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login