fbpx

Reply: Impressions from the Exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Impressions from the Exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 11 months ago #1382

Sonja Streuber

's Avatar

Orkun,

Thanks for the sanity check on my idea. There is one college here that might just go for it, since they do a fair number of professional development; I'm thinking of writing up a simple cost/ benefit proposal; plus, I'd do it for free (well, for the PDUs and for the sake of getting back into the adjuncting part of academia), so all they'd need to give me is a course number, an instance of BlackBoard, and a classroom, and I'm good to go.

So exciting to be done with this behemoth of a test which, in all honesty, turned out to be rather reasonable (despite the v.3 question about preliminary scope statement and a question asking for two inputs, but each of the answers contained either two tools or one tool and one input).

Wanted to agree with you on the Data Flow Diagrams. I actually pulled those out of the PMBOK and pasted them into my review slides. Very very useful!

Thanks,

Sonja
13 years 11 months ago #1381

Orkun Toros

Hi Sonja,

I work at a large University so that makes it easier for me. The Employee Development Department offers an MS Project class but they only teach how to use the software. I sent an email to the director of the unit and asked if they would like to offer a project management class.

It turned out that they have received negative feedback about the class regarding lack of actual project management training but they did not have anybody qualified to teach.

I am structuring the class towards small projects that have a team less than 10 members, to be completed less than 6 months and involves a few cross-functional areas. I held a focus group session with representatives from Colleges to gather requirements and their reaction has been great. They want to send all of their supervisors to the training so it seems like demand won't be a problem.

I think you might approach the local community college from the PMP prep perspective or offer small project management class as part of their own development.
13 years 11 months ago #1380

Sonja Streuber

's Avatar

I totally agree with you--the math was very very easy (I passed on Friday). Wish I had had the $$$ to purchase the podcast to whose free episodes I've listened religiously.

How are you planning to structure your quarterly seminars? I'm in the same PDU boat as you and was thinking of proposing a PMP prep class to our local community college ...
14 years 2 minutes ago #1377

Cornelius Fichtner

Orkun,

Yes - teaching counts towards your PDUs. Take a look at the PMP Credentials Handbook and you'll see it in one of the categories. I use it regularly to earn my PDUs (usually, I have too many).

Looking forward to seeing you on The PDU Podcast at www.pducast.com
14 years 8 hours ago #1375

Orkun Toros

Hi Cornelius,

I will start teaching a quarterly "Getting Started with Project Management" class as part of employee professional development. I have not had a chance to check that yet but I am hoping to count it towards my PDUs.

I have checked out the pdupodcast site. The webinar topics are very appealing (especially with the early bird discount) and I will definitely look into that. Is there anything else you can recommend?

Orkun
14 years 1 day ago #1373

Cornelius Fichtner

Orkun,

Congratulations on passing the Exam! And thank you very much for sharing this excellent lessons learned with us.

How do you plan on earning your PDUs?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login