fbpx

Reply: Passed the PMP Exam on 5/20 at Exam Center - AT/AT/AT!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed the PMP Exam on 5/20 at Exam Center - AT/AT/AT!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 9 months ago #27594

Elizabeth Harrin

Well done, Maylyn!
That's a good tip about using the time to step out for some fresh air.

When you are ready to start earning PDU’s for PMP recertification, check out the PM PrepCast’s offerings, The PM Podcast and the The PDU Podcast which will help you keep up with PMI’s Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR’s) and maintain your new certification.
2 years 9 months ago #27525

Maylyn Tran

I took the PMP exam at the Pearson Exam Center on May 20, and passed Above Target in all domains.

Started my PMP journey two months before the exam. Initially was going to allow six months to study, but was recommend to jump into the material and schedule the exam. I didn’t want to stress and study through summer, so I applied through PMI and once approved I scheduled the exam for less than two weeks out (there weren’t many options available for scheduling, so schedule once you are approved).

Preparation
1. Read through the entire PMBOK (including appendices) and the Agile Practice Guide to understand the concepts. Was able to get through about a chapter a day. After reading each chapter, I took a quiz on the PrepCast Exam Simulator specific to that knowledge area.
2. Watched the PMBOK 6th Ed Processes Explained with Ricardo Vargas video numerous times and wrote out his diagram to engrain in memory when and where each process happens.
3. Used PrepCast Exam Simulator to take multiple 60 question quizzes (always choosing to not include test questions), which helped get me used to sitting for each 60 minute test portion. I finished about 80% of the exam simulator questions and was regularly scoring between 70-78% on the quizzes and tests. Passed 3 of the 4 exams, and used the Statistics section to see what Knowledge Areas I need to focus on.
4. A week before the exam I went through the PMBOK and Agile Practice Guide again to flag tables and sections that I should review daily to engrain in memory. This included formulas, charts, tables, and the glossary.
5. Watched a few Agile videos:
• " What is Agile " video.
• CollabNet Scrum Training (Watched parts 1-5): Introduction to Scrum - CollabNet Scrum Training Part 1
6. Watched Cornelius’ Lessons’ Learned videos on You Tube (Part 1 and 2) and regularly visited the Lessons Learned site to see what recent exam takers were sharing about the exam.
7. Watched Aileen Ellis’ video regarding time management: How to manage your time during PMP Exam with Aileen Ellis
8. Got a study partner, and planned out a study plan. We met weekly to share tips and talk about where we were at on our studies. I also told co-workers and my boss that I was going to take the exam, which helped push me to get it done instead of procrastinate and never take it.

About the exam:
1. I was given a calculator, white board, and dry erase marker. I thought I would only have access to the Pearson online whiteboard which I thought was difficult to use (practice here: Pearson VUE Whiteboard ), so I was happy to get the supplies but I never even used them.
2. Lots of Agile questions. Make sure to understand what role you are being asked about before you answer the question: Project Manager, Scrum Master, Project Sponsor, Product Owner, Team Member, etc.
3. Flagged questions that I wanted to go back and review. There were some I changed my answers to, and hopefully they helped but in the end I will never know. I timed it so I would always have at least 70 minutes for each 60 question portion. I only had about 8 minutes left before finishing the exam, and had to speed through my question reviews.
4. Lots of questions on what a PM should do in different situations (not a lot of the questions about what a PM is “least” likely to do, which is abundant in the PrepCast Exam Simulator)
5. Utilize the 10 mins break, as other said earlier it helps to concentrate and calm your nerves. I would always step outside to remove my mask and get some fresh air.

Thank you PrepCast Team! Good luck exam takers - you can do it!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login