fbpx

Reply: Passed 4/18 AT/AT/AT

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed 4/18 AT/AT/AT

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 11 months ago #27204

Yolanda Mabutas

Congratulations, Scott!

Thank you for sharing your experience and we're glad to hear that our products have helped in passing your PMP exam.

Good luck in your future endeavor.
2 years 11 months ago #27179

Scott

's Avatar

Background:
* Project manager with a CSM for 5+ years, and a policy-cum-business analyst by training
* Had studied to take old exam in March or April of 2020 but didn't take it because of covid

Study resources (roughly 45 days):
* Joseph Philips Cram Session - I listened to it on 2.0x speed as a refresher. I definitely recommend it.
* PMP Booster Course - Didn't use it. I didn't think it was necessary and the catch-up seminars seem excessively long unless you have zero agile background.
* PMP PrepCast Simulator - I definitely recommend it. You can't argue with results. I took all the questions except for the ITTOs and 4 practice exams (78%, 83%, 83%, 79%), but I have to disagree with a lot of folks on here who say it's very close to the exam. The actual exam questions -- that I got anyway -- were really not very similar to those from the Simulator.
* Ricardo Vargas' Youtube video: I watched it the day before I took the exam, but I'd suggest watching it early in your studies. Not essential, but I imagine it could be pretty eye-opening to someone just starting out studying.
* Barely any PMBOK: I sort of studied it a year ago but I barely opened it this time.
* Agile Practice Guide: I read about 1/3rd and decided it was pretty surface-level stuff. PrepCast Simulator questions and the shorter 2017 Scrum Guide are more than enough.

Technical issues with Pearson VUE: I had a ton of technical problems and had to start over 3 times! Given the technical difficulties, I was more frazzled than I otherwise would've been because I went in with zero expectation I'd fail. That said, I did not feel good about a solid 80% of the questions. It wasn't even the standard "two of these are both right"-type situation; I was basically just guessing the least-wrong-seeming answer. I laughed when I saw how high I scored in all 3 areas because I honestly didn't know how well I did.

The test itself: It is entirely logic based. No math questions or need to use the whiteboard. I had about 10 drag and drop, 7-8 pick 2-3 out of a list, and one fill in the answer questions, and I think these were the easiest, or at least the ones I felt most confident about.

My $0.02, mostly for those with PM and agile experience: There's really no way to confidently smash this exam. I totally overdid it with the PrepCast Simulator questions. Despite feeling pretty uneasy during the exam, I probably could've spent like 2 weeks crashing and still passed by a fair margin. I honestly regret studying as much as I did and I already was on a pretty truncated timeline. Anyone with PM experience just taking this to tick a box can confidently schedule an exam about a month after having your application submitted, take Joseph Philips' 2021 Crash Course, do maybe 500-600 questions in the Simulator, take 1 or 2 practice exams, and pass pretty comfortably (not that you'll know until you see the "Congratulations!") I *really* cannot stress enough how unimportant it is to memorize terms, either. Barely any showed up, but I imagine it would be hard to intuit what they're asking if you don't know the jargon they're rephrasing to make it more complicated.

Conclusion: Good luck, everyone. It was simultaneously harder and easier that I expected, and it takes far less studying that the old PMP version.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login