fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Is PMI PMP Authorized PMP Prep helpful to pass the exam?

Is PMI PMP Authorized PMP Prep helpful to pass the exam? 2 years 11 months ago #27140

• Yolanda Robles
  • Yolanda Robles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

Thank you for your comments they are very helpful! I see that most of you recommend reading the PMBOK + PMI Agile Practice Guide + PrepCast Exam simulator --- DULY NOTED! :cheer: :) That said, haven't heard anyone talking about the PMI Authorized PMP Prep book and questions...

Has anyone used it and most importantly, found it useful?
As far as PMBOK guide, did you find useful knowing the sequence/flow/interrelationships of the different processes?

BACKGROUND
I tried registering for the exam last December. Mind you, I was very ready! PMI didn't have any appointments left for me and offered a 'Special Prep Course for 2021' for people who were ready for the 2020 exam and weren't able to register. [ Long story short, life got in the way, and I wasn't able to re-start studying in March by which time I seemed to have forgotten everything from the 2020 exam!]

IMHO - the course offered by PMI was mostly an outline + a glossary of terms + resources = a list of 100+ of articles from PMI. There were 20 cases with associated questions ---> these questions were QUITE different from the ones from the previous year. EG. No ITTOs, calculations BUT lots of situational HR-soft-skills-leadership type questions, mostly agile. Without what I considered a 'real guide,' I scored 50-60%. Thus, I decided to re-take an official course. This official course goes by the ECOs which seems useful. The questions on this guide, however, seemed much easier than the situational ones (less tricky-splitting hair types) than what was offered by PMI...

It sounds as if the real exam is similar to the course offered by PMI to. those in my situation. sounds as if it is a waste of precious time to re-learn ITTOs and calcs, would you agree with this assessment?

I'm a tad overwhelmed with work and can't wait to get this exam over with --> any and all responses are immensely appreciated!

Is PMI PMP Authorized PMP Prep helpful to pass the exam? 2 years 11 months ago #27152

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Hi Yolanda. From what I hear students say on these forums, the exam is unlikely to test ITTOs - you won't get a lot of ITTO questions, if any, from what I can gather. Calculation questions are most likely going to ask you to decide on a course of action given a particular formula's output - in other words, it's a situational questions with a formula element that you will need to interpret. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time on memorizing ITTOs or how to do the calculations - just make sure you understand what the output of the calculations mean.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

Is PMI PMP Authorized PMP Prep helpful to pass the exam? 2 years 11 months ago #27159

• Yolanda Robles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks! My assesssment as well. - It sounds as if the practice exam PMI provided me with is very similar to the real one.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login